• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows only recognizes half of memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kris

I have a 16 gb (2x8) installed and I just noticed that windows see's all 16 GB but says only 7.93 gb are useable. I did some searches and found the msconfig thing that should have solved it but that didn't work. I am starting to think the MB is suspect, as in some setting I can't find or possible bios update. Any rate have any of you had this issue? If so how did you fix it? The pc runs fine I just find that annoying...

Start>Run>msconfig and make sure of the following:
uncheck_maximum_memory_thumb.png

I wonder if that is what he said he tried already...

Im at a loss if that doesnt do it.. Perhaps more NB voltage or w/e effects memory on AMD?

Yep did that but when I rebooted I only now noticed that when the board posts I see 8bg. I think there must be a setting in bios I am missing or maybe I should try and update and see what happens?

BIOS updates should be the last thing to try, since there is a possiblity (however small) that it will brick your board. Just take the RAM out and reseat it, first.

I forgot to ask this: What does the BIOS report for the amount of memory?

The option is titled "Memory hole remapping" in your BIOS, under Advanced > North Bridge > Memory.

but I can see both sticks in CPUZ.

That being seen in CPUz sounds like the board hates that ram. Or the board has an issue itself. I would bet that the board would see 2 4gig sticks from the Asus QVL list without a problem and the slot would seem fine.

I believe your right RGone. Like I said the pc works fine so I probably won't mess with anything right now. Who knows, a bios update down the road may fix it...

Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z R2 = That is a brand-new board so maybe they have to fix the bios. I started to send my 4 day old CHV non-Z board back and get the "Z" but I did not. My straight-up CHV is such a dream to tweak the 8120 I have that I just could not risk the change. Hehehe. Just me I guess.

That's what I am thinking as well. The pc is stable, I have run hours of prime- an hour of IBT- Several hours of OCCT- and I crunch for the WCG. I know most don't test @ stock but you wouldn't believe how many pc's I have seen unstable @ stock.

Kris,

I am having the same problem with my ASUS M5A97 & Phenom II 965 BE. When I install my (2x8GB, purchased as a kit) Corsair PC3-10600 RAM sticks in A1 & A2, the bios (and Windows) recognizes 16gb of RAM, only problem is that it runs in single channel mode. I ran a benchmark program called PerformanceTest (It was recommended on a forum as a means of seeing where your system bottlenecks are) and my RAM in single channel mode was performing similar to 2GB and 4GB of PC2-6400 on this benchmark, and their records of PC3-10600 RAM performed 2x better across the board.

If I put the same sticks of memory into slots A1 & B1, or A2 & B2, the systems recognizes 8GB of RAM but still sees both sticks of memory installed. CPU-Z sees both sticks, and Windows 7 64 bit Premium sees 16GB(7.9GB available).

I've also tried:
* Increasing NB and/or DRAM voltage, separately and together; system was stable but memory still only 8gb.
* Updating bios to current version (version 1208)
* Loosened the timings from 9-9-9-24 stock to 10-10-10-27 to see if that was causing issues
* Turned down the frequency to 1066
* Ran Memtest86 but it was only able to see the amount of RAM the BIOS was posting
* Tried the msconfig trick
* Cursing at Walmart for not carrying RAM when I go there at midnight

Any ideas/thoughts are most welcome. I've ruled out faulty RAM as they both work individually, and the slots will recognize that RAM is in them it just doesn't make the full 16GB available unless I run them in different channels and in single channel mode. I've also noticed a lot of people with ASUS boards are having similar problems getting dual channel mode to work on their systems.

Last edited:
Ya I feel I am having trouble because I didn't buy my memory based on the asaus compatibility list but from a forum recommendation because of the performance of the kit I bought. I feel my situation will eventually work it's self out with a bios update. This is a brand new board and there is already a beta bios out for increased memory compatibility so when it comes off beta I will try it out. Right now I am happy with the rig. It's fast and stable so I will wait it out or if I feel the need I will buy different ram. No biggie...

The compatibility chart (QVL list) is simply a list of ram they have TESTED. Thats it. Its not like if it isnt on the list it wont work type of situation. 99% of the time stuff not on the list will work just fine.

HOnestly, ram speeds do not matter anyway so I personally wouldnt stress it.

Back