• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows only recognizes half of memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
so, quick question, what version of windows do you have?

The compatibility chart (QVL list) is simply a list of ram they have TESTED. Thats it. Its not like if it isnt on the list it wont work type of situation. 99% of the time stuff not on the list will work just fine.

HOnestly, ram speeds do not matter anyway so I personally wouldnt stress it.

Actually in Llano and especially Trinity (piledriver), memory speeds matter quite a bit as seen here in Tom's Hardware:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a10-5800k-a8-5600k-a6-5400k,3224-5.html

However it's more the principle of it to me - why is my motherboard reading the RAM so terribly

what version of windows 64 bit are you using? the standard home basic only supports 8 gb is why i was asking.

Yep did that but when I rebooted I only now noticed that when the board posts I see 8bg.

Normally I would suspect that you are seeing THAt 8gig showing on the white on black post screen? Is that accurate?

If so, it is n0t a windows issue at that time. It is hardware. By hardware, I mean at that point windows is n0t in play and it would be something like a board bios, ram and board and IMC of cpu, not playing nice or something along those lines.

I have done a good deal of g00gling about a 16gig issue with boards like CHV and Sabretooth and actually the problem is out there for more than just one user. DDR1866 ram seems to want to only run at DDR1333 when there are 8 gig sized sticks on the ram slots. So some have had issues if the ram was 2 by 8 gig in size for a total of 16gigs.

Yes 8gb in post screen and I am using win7 home premium. I also believe this to be some sort or mb or bios issue. Like I said before I'm not to worried about it. The pc runs great.

Yes 8gb in post screen and I am using win7 home premium. I also believe this to be some sort or mb or bios issue. Like I said before I'm not to worried about it. The pc runs great.

Might be a long shot, but are overclocking the RAM at all? I lost one of my RAM sticks when I clocked it 10mhz higher then it is now, bumped it back a bit and works fine!

Back