• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows power plans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UltraTaco

If I set up "high performance", "balanced" and "power saver" to the same values, will they behave completely the same?

Thank you.

Vista 64
I7 920
Asus p6t deluxe1
Gtx460
LEDs

Yes. They are just default values and can be configured to behave exactly alike. But you could also create your own and call it whatever you want.

Thank you, because I set my "balanced" plan with variable could frequency and wondered if I'm missing out by not running "high performance".

BTW, interesting note, 1.6x cpuz shows always 100% could frequency if I set it in power plan, but latest cpuz 1.88? shows could frequency drop when idle no matter how I set it up in the powerplan. I can literally open up 2 different versions of cpuz and one will show like 2.3ghz and the other will show 4ghz:shrug:

Ultimate performance plan: "please check cooling before enabling and hold on to your pants":D

If you want the ultimate performance, just use the high performance as a start and then tune the individual settings to your taste. Or you could set up a new one exactly how you want it.

As far as the frequency, try hwinfo portable and see what it says. I've found it to be pretty accurate.

If you want the ultimate performance, just use the high performance as a start and then tune the individual settings to your taste. Or you could set up a new one exactly how you want it.

This. High Performance (in all Windows as far as i know) still has a few bits and bobs turned on to save power like time to shut off monitor, HDD and USB suspend.

Thank you. I will high performance my rig then just in case. I'm already some 9 generatiins behind, wouldn't want to lose any extra power

Back