• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Remote Desktop Connection.... HTPC/Server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TransformedBG

Okay im running windows 7 on a HTPC/File Server so i can use windows media player and add media extenders throuhg the house.. Eventually i will be hooking up an HomerunHD prime for my tv and also recording on to this pc.

Pretty simple PC specs:
Intel Core duo 2.67GHz (can upgrade to a quad core)
8 Gigs ram
1 500 Gb Segate Barracuda Sata drive (for os, overkill but had it laying around)
Perc 5i Raid controller
IcyDock 5 bay Hot swappable bay (havent picked up the raid drives yet shooting for a 10 TB array in raid 5)
500W Gold PSU
Nivida 680iSLi motherboard

Nothing fancy just some old parts i had laying around.

Anyways Im just playing around with iTunes Trying to organize my music for the time being and ripping cds.. Right now i have the pc next to my other pc and can just swap my keyboard/mouse over via kvm switch.. its okay but i want to move the pc elsewhere in the house so im playing with remote desktop.

PROBLEM im having is that i cant delete/add files via cut and paste or rip cds over remote connection.. I think it has to do with group policies and maybe im over looking something.. I disabled "All removable Storage classes:deny all access." and enabled "All Removable storage:allow direct access in remote sessions."

i was finally able to rip cds... but im still having an issue with the cut and paste.. any ideas?

You mean copy/paste files from your PC to the PC over RDP? I don't think that's possible. You'll need to go into your RDP options and map your local drives to your RDP session, then you should be able to do it all from within RDP.

You mean copy/paste files from your PC to the PC over RDP? I don't think that's possible. You'll need to go into your RDP options and map your local drives to your RDP session, then you should be able to do it all from within RDP.

Thats what i was doing and i mapped it but its not coming up.. i thought maybe i had a firewall issue tried turning it off nothing.. .i know i can do it on team viewer.. but i really dont want to set that up..

I'm talking about going into RDP -> Options -> Local resources -> more -> and enabling 'Drives.' Is that what you're attempting to do?

Well are you getting an error or something? After you enable those settings, you should be able to navigate to your local drives as if they were part of the RDP server you're connecting to without issue.

yeah the error went away.. now when im remote desktop into the pc it doesnt auto rip the cd in itune, but thats no big deal least i can access files..

But shouldnt i be allowed to save a file from my main computer to my media computer as well? right now im just getting "do not have sufficient privileges" Ie i want to download my programs and apps to the server drive (z:\) rather than my local drive.

Back