• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Server/7/8 for nas/htpc combined?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chug

So the nas is going downstairs, but I need it to be able to play a film and send digital sound to a HT receiver occasionally whilst supplying films upstairs.

Can windows do this? Which version would be best?

I read that a desktop could be put on the server but not vice versa. What would be the advantages of using the server os to begin with?

Cheers

I just got WHS, I stream video and music from it. What ever computer you working from you can log into the server if needed to set up accounts and manage the server. I use it just really as a NAS myself not worried much about to many other function on it.

Yeah I've had a NAS before, but it seems silly to have 2 computers to do a job one could do.

Any advice on how to setup 7 to do this?

No I set up my WHS as my NAS, in different part of the house and have a small HTPC that;s streams the stuff from the WHS box.
Yeah I've had a NAS before, but it seems silly to have 2 computers to do a job one could do.

Any advice on how to setup 7 to do this?

Back