• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Slow and Unresponsive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zephos

Hey guys, got a big issue. The other day I bought the most recent humble bundle, and I was playing the games one by one, bridge constructor went well, as did Type:Rider (although, p.s., that game is painfully boring).

I downloaded Knights of Pen and Paper: +1 or whatever. Soon as I tried to play it, my computer became completely unresponsive. Even Windows Explorer died on me, forcing me to try and restart my PC.

Once it was back I gave it a while to boot, but it was dead again. Rebooted, quickly got to my antivirus (Avast! 2014), and tried to run a full scan of my ohh 2TB across three drives. After like 3/4hours away, that was only at 1%.

Nothing I do has any effect on the performance. Do you guys have any ideas?

Good idea, what's the safe mode command during boot again? Rarely use it

Usually F8 during boot, unless you're using windows 8.

Alright I'll try safe mode tonight when I get home. As far as recovery, I'd like to make that a last ditch, because my image is pretty old. Storage issues

Sorry I left out the F8 info I should have known better than that. Even though I assumed you knew I could have
still put that up for others who may be having same issues.

Anyway a good practice is to just reverse what you have done when you start having issues. Although that isn't always
the cure-all it does start the process of elimination. While your in neighborhood of uninstalling a program go through the
listed programs installed on your machine and see if the game you installed also installed third party applications (not uncommon).

Another thing you could try after booting into safe mode would be to type "msconfig" into a cmd window, run box, or search program and
files box (after you click start button). Under startup tab you check to see what is starting up when booting your pc.

After checking them out run the antivirus and see what happens.

Where did you obtain these games from ? What are the requirements for the game ?

And last but not least you should try to list a general run down of your pc so we know what your working with.

I downloaded my games through steam, so it's reputable. As far as my PC setup, it's a mid-range gaming setup: GTX 660, Phenom II x4 965BE, 8GB G.Skill. So it's not just general slowdown.

I think I found my problem, though. HD Tune Pro tells me one of my drives is starting to fail, unfortunately. I don't know what any of the problems really mean or if they're fixable, could you give me a little primer on these?

My HD Tune Pro (sorry for quality, my browsers won't open)
20140405_183536.jpg

This is only one drive, the other two are just fine. I'm going to run MemTest+ as soon as it finishes running an error scan (which is going fantastically slow).

Would you guys agree this is my problem?

I downloaded my games through steam, so it's reputable. As far as my PC setup, it's a mid-range gaming setup: GTX 660, Phenom II x4 965BE, 8GB G.Skill. So it's not just general slowdown.

I think I found my problem, though. HD Tune Pro tells me one of my drives is starting to fail, unfortunately. I don't know what any of the problems really mean or if they're fixable, could you give me a little primer on these?

My HD Tune Pro (sorry for quality, my browsers won't open)
20140405_183536.jpg

This is only one drive, the other two are just fine. I'm going to run MemTest+ as soon as it finishes running an error scan (which is going fantastically slow).

Would you guys agree this is my problem?

5 bad sectors and once you power that rig off, 2 more bad sectors are added to the bad sector count.

GET YOUR DATA OFF ASAP!!!!

Yes, that could be your issue.

**** okay. I have no way to back that stuff up until a drive gets here from Newegg, so I'll just not turn it off and hope it survives

**** okay. I have no way to back that stuff up until a drive gets here from Newegg, so I'll just not turn it off and hope it survives

That is the best thing to do.

Get a new drive, and get as much data off as possible by any means.
That sucks man :(

Defiantly grab another drive for backups once this is fixed. It'll save your a$$ in times like these :p

I just might do that :p I could go all out and get two more and put em in RAID 1...Or buy like 8 more and RAID 10.

If only

Those results don't necessarily mean the drive is going bad. Use Western Digital diagnostic tool HERE and run it. It'll tell you in no uncertain terms if the drive is, or is about to, fail.

I just might do that :p I could go all out and get two more and put em in RAID 1...Or buy like 8 more and RAID 10.

If only

Forget RAID 10, waste of $$ & drives. Just grab 3 drives and go RAID 5 :thup:

Or, RAID 0 like me and backup at least every week. (<-- Risky though, loose one drive I'm done x.x)

Those results don't necessarily mean the drive is going bad. Use Western Digital diagnostic tool HERE and run it. It'll tell you in no uncertain terms if the drive is, or is about to, fail.

Good point. The bad sectors may cease after a while, but if bad sectors are showing up now like they are, it could be that the drive is all out of spare sectors and that's a bad thing.

Backup anyway to be safe + it's a good routine to do. :)

Alright I'll try and download that, no guarantees it'll even open my browser. As far as RAID 10 I was kidding, a little too much for me. I wouldn't want to do higher than 0 or 1 without a card anyway

The WD software said I had no physical drives, my three showed up under logical drives.

Also malwarebytes found a few threats but nothing looked too major

No, I think it will only test physical drives, but I don't understand why mine didn't show up there

Back