• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows vs Hardware

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fgf80

I have regularly been getting a BSOD from an
Unfixable Hardware Error
but there isn't an error to my knowledge.

Prime95 reveals nothing within 3 hours of testing
FurMark, no error in 15 minutes
MemTest, no error in a full cycle

The CPU stays at healthy temperatures.

What do I do? Is this really a hardware problem, or is it a "Windows" problem?

Thanks!

When did it start happening?
How often does it happen?
Is there a pattern? (e.g. "I run this game for at least x minutes and it crashes")
Have you changed any hardware recently?
Have you checked your main hard drive's health (Use HDTune's "Health" tab)?
Have you installed any new programs or noticed any odd behavior outside of the crashes?

I have not installed new software recently, but I did recently remove a virus.
It started immediately when I removed the virus.
And I found more data on the problem, perhaps:

I ran Prime95 for a few hours to no effect, but then I ran it for another 15 minutes and almost immediately got a BSOD with no error code at all.

This led me to reduce the clock on my CPU, as I didn't feel safe increasing the voltage (not knowing what "Offset" mode did, but that's for the CPU or Motherboard forums).

I will run Prime95 again.

Your system may not be clean or it damaged the Windows install. Drop your overclock completely and try again, if it still happens, reinstall Windows.

Your system may not be clean or it damaged the Windows install. Drop your overclock completely and try again, if it still happens, reinstall Windows.

I did drop the overclock entirely, and it didn't fix it. The good thing is that I'd wanted to reinstall windows for a while and needed an excuse, so thanks :D

If you haven't formatted your HDD already... boot into Windows and go to Computer Management. IN there, look at the Event Logs and check out the System Logs.

Look for any logged event related to this error and check out the Event ID.

Google that Event ID and you are likely to get an idea of what may be causing it.

Sudden stops are often caused by memory (what kind of memory is it?). I would pull all the sticks but one, see if that fixes the problem. If not swap sticks or if possible use a different bank.

Run memtest over night - if it doesn't find an error, it still can be memory problems.

Sudden stops are often caused by memory (what kind of memory is it?). I would pull all the sticks but one, see if that fixes the problem. If not swap sticks or if possible use a different bank.

Run memtest over night - if it doesn't find an error, it still can be memory problems.

But then wouldn't it be an issue in my various Linuxes?

But I already reinstalled windows. The odd bit is that I accidentally installed it using the x86 DVD for my laptop back when it had windows on it.
However, CPU-Z and Windows Explorer both still recognize all 8GB of RAM.

What does this mean for computing power?
What does this mean for gaming?

With the 32bit Windows, you aren't going to be able to use more than 4gb (minus extra devices, such as video card RAM,etc). This will effectively limit you to 3.2gb of usable RAM. You will need to reinstall.

Programs can still see the full 8gb of RAM, they just can't use it.

Okay, I ran MEMTEST for 16 hours. I got 40 bad bits. What do I do?

My other question is why on earth were there no errors in my initial tests?

Last edited:
If you only ran one full cycle the first time, that is not enough to detect much more than really unstable RAM. Make sure your timings, speeds, and voltages are set to stock settings in the BIOS and test again.

Back