• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows xp activation (there is no expiration!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No, from my experience, this is how it usually goes. I try to activate it online, it doesn't work, so I get the installation code. I call in and I punch in the code as it asks for it, and I get transferred to a customer service rep (usually someone overseas). They thank me for choosing Microsoft or something and ask me if I've installed this copy of Windows before and I say "No, I've activated it before, but I had to reinstall Windows, so I need to activate it again." Then they usually ask if I have this copy of Windows installed on more than one computer. I tell them "nope, just this one!" Usually that's it and they say something like, "Ok sir, I am going to give you a series of numbers and letters, please enter them in the boxes, blah blah blah..."

Anyways, you get the point. They don't ask for personal info as I don't think it's their right to. All they're trying to figure out is if you're installing that copy of Windows on multiple machines. All they want to hear are the words, "Nope, just one computer." so that they've got their ends covered and can give you the activation code guilt-free.

GV2NIX said:
Hahaha, like I said, not very scientific, but by doing that, I've managed to keep my copy of Windows activated. I'm sure eventually it'll stop working, but for now, it's the only way that I've had any luck with.

I can't handle calling in everytime, it takes about 15-20 minutes for me. First I have to put up with the automated service rep treating me like an infant. It takes a good 5 minutes to get all the numbers in. Then after all that, the automated service rep always tells me that it was unable to verify something or other, so I have to repeat the process for the human service rep and then get the new code. It's a circus, I have to jump through flaming hoops to get a legit copy of Windows XP Pro to work.

I think Windows XP Pro is good, but the whole activation process is absolutely ridiculous. I would rather they invade my privacy by taking a photo of me, taking a blood sample, and copying my fingerprints if that meant I could activate it as much as I want hassle-free!

Thats why I am for Hacks and Cracks. That makes those silly people think of their dumbness and gives the alternative way for us. The nature always have alternative ways. Anyway I would get rid of that OS ASAP.

Woops, sorry about that. I figured it was information on testing the limits of the Windows activation sequence and would therefore be appropriate. All of these machines are mine, so it's not as if I was distributing it outside my home.

I didn't mean to promote piracy, warez, or cracking, I just thought it would be interesting to the discussion. Many people have encountered problems when trying to re-install windows after changing hardware and I found that, in this case, the hardware issue was overlooked.

Edit: Just so there's no confusion, I own 3 copies of Windows XP Pro and therefore 3 licenses for my 3 machines. I was only using one copy for the sake of the experiment.

lol if you don't have internet then how did you post?

and the phone numbers for US aren't working for me. any ideas?

In your case, you should just stick with older windows versions, like 2000, that do not require activation and hence would work fine in your situation. You can still find copies of 2k for sale on the internet on sites like pricegrabber.

Any more talk of how to circumvent the licenses or activation will result in 3 day bans. Thank you.

gah!

both of the us numbers arent working for me

i only have like 7 days left and i dont want to reinstall all my crap

any ideas?

Just with reading this thread i'm thinking my next OS upgrade is gonan be to a non-microsoft system. If i bought the software then i should be able to use it how i want inside my own home on my own hardware without microsoft trying to monitor me like a felon.

I've never not been able to get in touch with a rep by phone. Maybe you were calling during a super influx of calls or something. Or, the telecomm system in India is having problems. :p I think you should keep trying.

Back