• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows xp activation (there is no expiration!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I got the message that my retail upgrade copy had exceeded the allowed number of activations. Does this mean that I need to call, or am I screwed.

DvBoard said:
Just with reading this thread i'm thinking my next OS upgrade is gonan be to a non-microsoft system. If i bought the software then i should be able to use it how i want inside my own home on my own hardware without microsoft trying to monitor me like a felon.

You can grow to love downloading and trying various "flavors" of Linux...all free, all legal! ;)

Linux: it just feels so right! Sure, I still use Windows...still buy legal oem copies, but that will be a thing of the past, someday.

Here's a good place to start...http://distrowatch.com/

My favorites are SUSE and Ubuntu. ;)

AAARRRGGHHH!! If i wasnt a gamer i would throw away every Microsoft OS I have ever had. I have had to reactivate EVERY time I make a simple change to the hardware. I removed a CDROM that died and I had to reactivate and was informed that I had reactivated too much. After an hour on the phone I was able to reactivate but it shall be the last time. I pray that if I have to format and reinstall i don't have to go thruogh this again. :bang head

i have called these stupid foreigners(no offense to foreigners, but these people are complete idiots) and i get habib that tells me i can no longer use my windows xp anymore. i literally yelled at him for 5 minutes until he agreed to activate the product. I PAID FOR THE DANG THING, WHY THE HELL CANT I USE MY OWN PURCHASED PRODUCT AS LONG AS ITS ON ONE SYSTEM. i flipping HATE microsoft. i wish i wouldnt have lost my XP corporate edition. UGH.

They told you that you can no longer use your copy of Windows XP anymore? Wow, I've never heard that one before... Seems kind of harsh. I guess they determined that you violated the end-user agreement?

For some reason, my XP Pro OEM hasn't required me to reactivate--Even after changing my soundcard, videocards, memory, hard drive, 3 cpus, 2 mobos and about 7-10 reformats. :)
??

Re-activation of Windows XP

Because I am always swapping hardware and motherboards I purchased a program called Tweak-XP Pro, using the Backup Activations feature, I back up the files created by the activation to another drive or save to a CD. When I rebuild or swap, and require a new installation of Windows XP, after completion I start the OS in "safe mode" open Tweak-XP (which I re-install as well) and restore the actviation file -restart and all is well again. If you are always making changes its worth the investment, overall it also increases windows peformance and gives easy access to many other tweaks.

www.totalidea.com

Hope this has been useful

I was able to reinstall my copy of windows, and it activated just fine over the internet, but when i run windows update, it forces the windows validation, and I fail. The message says:
Validation Failure: Activation Limit Exceeded
Why would it do this? it activated just fine!

dwschoon said:
I was able to reinstall my copy of windows, and it activated just fine over the internet, but when i run windows update, it forces the windows validation, and I fail. The message says:
Validation Failure: Activation Limit Exceeded
Why would it do this? it activated just fine!

has your computer been restarted since you activated your copy of windows? i have found that a machine that has not been restarted seems to cause the validation to fail.

mbentley said:
has your computer been restarted since you activated your copy of windows? i have found that a machine that has not been restarted seems to cause the validation to fail.

tried that. It didnt help. I turned on automatic updates, and they download just fine. I just cant use windows update from IE. :shrug:

dwschoon said:
tried that. It didnt help. I turned on automatic updates, and they download just fine. I just cant use windows update from IE. :shrug:

have you upgraded from windows update to microsoft update? i had trouble downloading the updates from windows update but after i updated to microsoft update they downloaded fine. it could be there is something wrong with your windows update files... i imagine that is what was wrong with mine...

mbentley said:
have you upgraded from windows update to microsoft update? i had trouble downloading the updates from windows update but after i updated to microsoft update they downloaded fine. it could be there is something wrong with your windows update files... i imagine that is what was wrong with mine...

how do i do that?

I had to call once, and when they asked me how many computers this copy was on, I replied "none yet, because I had to call you!"......Yes, Sir they replied.....here are the numbers you need".......LOL!

Back