• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows xp activation (there is no expiration!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Depending on where you live, the EULA may, or might not be a legaly binding agreement. Regardless of what it states.
B!

Windows\xp Activation - Security Updates

I have found that upon activation failure that making a call to Microsoft and telling them you reloaded due to hardware replacement or to remove virus they will re-activate your copy of xp. On security updates. I have found that even after valadation that you may have to either update your internet explorer or install active x control and then you should be able to continue with your security updates.

I'm just wondering if I could do this. I received windows pre-installed on my computer so I did not get any CD's but it does have a COA. I have the XP CD from my other computer though.

So question: Would I be allowed to format and use the XP CD from the other computer and use the COA that came with the pre-installed one?

Xp Install

You cannot use a restore CD for xp from one computer to another. Example: Hp restore software is for HP only, As Dell is for Dell. If you have a Microsoft Xp install CD, then you can install it on any computer as long as you have the Key code for activation. If your changing hardware in the computer you may have to call Microsoft with help with activation.

Also. I have found that it's best to use the long NTFS format and not the short format.

I've called Microsuck (whopps! did i make a typo?) a BUNCH of times to reactivate the same copy. Everytime they ask me the same question and go on with it "Sir, how many machines do you have this on?" of course i say one. Which is actually true i have 2 machines each with a key. And they go on with it no problems at all.

Out of curiosity, anyone have any idea on what the specific rules are for running XP? I belive its something silly as "only on one computer" here in sweden. What happens if this one computer runs a few virtual XP's?
This might not apply in the rest of the world, i belive microsoft might have the right to actually enforce the "one copy on one computer", but then that would make all those "c:\windows~2" and so on illegal aswell.

RedDragonXXX said:
I used my MCE cd so many times to fresh install, it won't even boot anymore :confused:

Thats simply not possible. Or well, it is, but then its due to physical damage, and not the actuall reinstall process. try cleaning the media, and / or replacing the reader.

B!

Just tell them you had to reinstall the software because of a virus, and for whatever reason it's not letting you activate over the internet. Used this excuse several times...works most of the time.

I've also found that pressing the "Change Product Key" in the phone activation box magically gives you a valid code everytime. :-D

There really doesn't seem to be a pattern with obtaining a new installation key regarding hardware changes using XP. I have installed two motherboards, three different manufacturers of RAM kits, trashed the operating system once, replaced my CPU with this one, each time expecting the silly message to appear. Oh, and formatted the wrong HD once .......... :rolleyes: Yes, the OS hard drive while in a hurry............:confused: Cripes...........

I have installed the OS 5 times and only on the last one when the OS was trashed did the request appear. So I made the call to MS, told them what happened, and it was ok. Got the usual questions and explained it courteously.

Now I don't use pirated software (I know some of you guys are snickering) but that's the truth. And if I want to do a clean install by choice or trash the system again I just might have to consult my "security" people. :)

Has anyone tested how many new keys you can get via telephone before they call the CIA, FBI, RIAA or Secret Service? :D

Precision said:
I've called Microsuck (whopps! did i make a typo?) a BUNCH of times to reactivate the same copy. Everytime they ask me the same question and go on with it "Sir, how many machines do you have this on?" of course i say one. Which is actually true i have 2 machines each with a key. And they go on with it no problems at all.
sinner

sinner? how so? he isn't lying about the number of computers it is installed on...

however, i don't understand how people can bash microsoft so much since if there was no microsoft, would most of us who have jobs in computer fields deal with microsoft software... their software gives us a job whether we like to admit it or not.

think about that one and get back to me ;)

I still don't get it, how can some people claim to be able to use the same copy of windows on 2 PCs at the same time? Do you have SP2 on both?

I am still not sure, for example if I am getting a complete upgrade to PC. That means pretty much only DVD drives etc. are the same old ones, am I allowed to use the same copy of Windows?

#18 said:
I still don't get it, how can some people claim to be able to use the same copy of windows on 2 PCs at the same time? Do you have SP2 on both?

I am still not sure, for example if I am getting a complete upgrade to PC. That means pretty much only DVD drives etc. are the same old ones, am I allowed to use the same copy of Windows?

that would depend on what type of license you have. is it an OEM or retail license?

I have to do this at work almost daily...

The trick is just say "I had a piece of hardware go bad and I had to reinstall windows" tell them its on one computer and they will activate it, I've never had them not when I say that.

I bought an OEM copy and haven't activated it yet. What I've been told by someone here is I can change everything in the system except the motherboard and re-activate, if required, with no problems. Does that pretty much sum it up?

That would depend on how many add-in cards you use. If you got gfx, network, audio, firewire, usb and a physix card, you might get in trouble. Most of us only have the GFX. The things we need are mostly integrated on the motherboard, and the physix card... Well, we don't really need that anyway.
Things like what harddrive, or cd/dvd you got doesn't mean much. The reason for the motherboard usually triggering a reactivation is simply since you have so many different integrated functions, and the activation feature pretty much just looks at installed drivers, and scream when there are enough changes.
B!

I wish I had just gone ahead and paid double and got the Retail Box.

Hopefully my Q6600 and GA-P35-DS3L will live long, happy lives.

Can XP still be purchased, or is Vista all you can get now?

Back