• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows xp activation (there is no expiration!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
^wow xp retial is so expensive. But with xp retail it can still only be used on 1 computer at a time. I am pretty sure right???

Yes, correct. Legally on only one maching at a time. But, with retail version, you can uninstall it from one machine and re-install it on another machine legally and with Microsoft's blessing.

NewEgg sold me my XP MCE OEM a few months ago without any hardware attached. Is Microsoft ok with that now?

If you buy an OEM version with a mouse - does that mean you can use it on any computer the mouse is attached to?

Truely with OEM theres no way to tell that said piece of hardware is still on the PC. While they say its attached to a piece of hardware, people ignore it all the time. Just ask how many people here on the forums own Vista and bought OEM versions of it yet surely they upgrade often enough that there hardware will be out the door before the OS is even a year old.

If not mistaken I got an OEM copy of XP. Im not a 100% sure though since I got it from MS direct, but it does work, I've installed it on Multiple machines (only one 1 at a time of course) yet had no issues reactivating it. I'm running Vista now but there always seems to be little holes in how they word things to get the most for your buck sometimes. Like with the Upgrade versions of Vista for instance, your suppose to have say XP installed then upgrade from it, well you can install Vista, then log into Vista and install the upgrade from within the OS giving you an upgrade without invalidating your XP CD-Key if you plan on to use it for Dual booting purposes.

In a quick thing if you didn't understand that..

OEM you can be reinstalled on multiple different hardware configurations. MS has no way to track if you kept 1 piece of hardware in your system or not.

If you replace your motherboard you'll have to reinstall (and re-activate) anyways.

So, it's not tied to the motherboard? Must not be.

Ned,

You should be fine. When I was troubleshooting bad power supplies and motherboard, I exceeded the number of installs I was entitled to on this machine and a phone call to MS was needed. I explained what happened honestly and received a new activation.

I did another install fresh install 6 months ago without a hitch. If you have a problem, document what you have done and call them if needed. They won't bite your head off.

In a quick thing if you didn't understand that..

OEM you can be reinstalled on multiple different hardware configurations. MS has no way to track if you kept 1 piece of hardware in your system or not.

Bingo, hit the nail on the head!

I can't tell you how many times I've done this.

Full new computer builds, new ram, mobo, proc, etc and activiated and installed with the same version of windows I've been using for years.

Microsoft honestly can't track it and they really don't care.

At work we tested this one time on teh phone with a microsoft rep doing the activation process. The rep asked "how many times have you activated this copy of windows" and we said "Oh somewhere around 40" and the guy didn't even pay attention and moved to the next (most important question in thier book) "how many computers is this installed on?" just say one to that question every time and you'll be set for as long as you use that licence for the operating system.

Interesting read.

I have a laptop with that has never required activation (guess it is the corp version), an OEM, and a retail version. The oem has given me some grief, stating that it has already been installed on a machine if I try to net activate. I am just in the habit now of making the call and not even messing with net activation. Why? It works every time. It takes about 5 minutes, so it isn't a big deal. It isn't like I am activating very often, so this isn't a hassle. If you get rejected by the net activation (as I did with my oem) you will have to reinstall the OS to even get the option to call and that will take more than 10 minutes ;)

All you do is lie to these people tell them its the first time using the key. I do this all the time they never ask questions. Friends do it all the time as well with oem copies transferring them to other computers. I don't think they can tell what hardware you actually changed. That would be invasion of privacy. As long as you say its the first time you are installing this key onto a machine and have it on no other pc's you will be str8. Also never tell them you want your key to go on a different machine just tell them its your first time using it.

Last edited:
All you do is lie to these people tell them its the first time using the key. I do this all the time they never ask questions. Friends do it all the time as well with oem copies transferring them to other computers. I don't think they can tell what hardware you actually changed. That would be invasion of privacy. As long as you say its the first time you are installing this key onto a machine and have it on no other pc's you will be str8. Also never tell them you want your key to go on a different machine just tell them its your first time using it.

:bang head

Back