• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows xp activation (there is no expiration!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
when you change any piece of hardware in your computer, your computer's hardware id will change somewhat. there seems to be some sort of limit that the windows xp activation will allow. you can change x things with the product id before it requires a reactivation. i am not sure how they create the hardware id, but that is what the activation checks for is a change in the product id...

Last edited:
Dylruss said:
Mostly just the Motherboard.

no when you change any hardware, this includes harddrives video cards etc. its not only when you change the motherboard that MS wants a new activation.

dark_15 said:
One more thing about the activation scheme...

I once googled the whole XP activation scheme once.. and I read an article on how the activation process really runs. If I find the article again, I'd be more than happy to post it. Basically what it said is that the activation procedure looks for a change in the RAM - normally in amount. If the amount of RAM changes in the machine then it will almost always need reactivation. I'd expand further on this, but I may violate the rules in this forum... lol

I've never had to re-activate because of adding RAM. . .

I think it is the CD Drive, NIC, Proc, Video Card, MoBo, and a few other goodies that it "looks" at to see if the system has "Changed" (by the MAC addresses I believe)

:cool:

why not just hack the count down? there are many hacks floating the net that work from what ive been told.

AL Romero said:
why not just hack the count down? there are many hacks floating the net that work from what ive been told.

because talking about things like that at these forums is a violation of the rules ;)

might want to change/remove your post and read the rules to avoid the mods around here...

i have a question. so what u guys are saying is that if i get an OEM version of xp with a floppy drive. as long as i am using the xp with that floppy it is legal? since the purchased xp was intended for the floppy that i got. can i technically move my floppy and xp to a different computer?

While the EULA was probably never meant to be interpreted this way, most retailers will sell you an OEM version of XP with ANY hardware purchase. In fact, several retailers recommend you buy two thumbscrews for 50 cents each in order to qualify. Since they can sell it under these conditions without running afoul of MS, you can technically purchase and install it. Now whether or not this interpretation would hold up under legal scrutiny is another thread altogether...

Bloody Microsoft. By the way I am a supporter of microsoft, just not the way they handle the re-activation process. How many copies of xp do you want me to buy? How about this - steal xp, get a hack, and never look back. Never worry about reactivation.

P.S Jaydog and the family of Jaydog do not condone software piracy.

Hi There
Im new to this board, but been an avid lurker for ages.lol
Can I ask a quick question if I may. On ebay UK there is a tool called the Activation removal tool. Is this illegal software or is this really a technicians tool?
Any info would be great as it seams like it could save me quite a few phone calls a year.

SC-Services UK said:
Hi There
Can I ask a quick question if I may. On ebay UK there is a tool called the Activation removal tool. Is this illegal software or is this really a technicians tool?
Any info would be great as it seams like it could save me quite a few phone calls a year.

that sounds like it is illegal software that is meant to "crack" the windows activation. i would steer clear of that.

Aeon Flux said:
Can microsoft legally do that? Forgive me for asking and being dunce about it as I really don't look into or read anything at all about microsoft's crap but is it legal for them to make you purchase another key because you decided to buy another motherboard? I mean it's like calling up Ford and asking permission to start my car after changing the brakes in it. If that is the case we need to start looking more into linux quickly.

5 bucks says that somewhere in the end user agreement (that no one ever reads) along with saying you are ok with not being able to change hardware too many times you also signed away your first born son to Microsoft.

SC-Services UK said:
Hi There

Welcome to the Forums!
I too was a lurker for ages, then I became the shady guy that just listens in on everyones conversations but never says anything a year ago when I registered, recently I've become a normal functioning memeber of society when I decided to actualy start posting.

I would imagine that tool is quite illegal unless you were in some country where there are no software piracy laws.

Dylruss said:
Mostly just the Motherboard.

Actually an MS rep told me (when I was calling to reactivate) that the magical number is, or at least was, 5 hardware changes. The reason a mobo always trips the reactivation is that it is recognized as more than 5 componants by the OS. So it's not which components, but how many.

DWolf:cool:

PS: Of course he could have been blowing smoke just to shut me up....

reply n quest

DreamingWolf said:
Actually an MS rep told me (when I was calling to reactivate) that the magical number is, or at least was, 5 hardware changes. The reason a mobo always trips the reactivation is that it is recognized as more than 5 componants by the OS. So it's not which components, but how many.

DWolf:cool:

PS: Of course he could have been blowing smoke just to shut me up....
Due to various reasons I've had to reload xp more than 5 times on my comp I just skip the part about registering to microsoft or e-machines and have not had any problems with this configurations. When I switched motherboards though it would not let windows boot all I got was systems config errors this was with same cpu ram hdd and optical drives as before.

Also cant you legally put xp on another comp using disks you have and then buy a license through microsoft?

GV2NIX said:
I've probably installed my copy of XP Pro about as much as you have, but I haven't run into that snag yet... I hope it doesn't happen soon! :eek:

Yep after activation over the net 3 times , each time thereafter I had to Call them , I just tell them I had a virus attack & had to format, even tho its normaly a hardware thing Just tell them its a virus & its installed on 1 computer only

Poof done !!!

Back