• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP giving me trouble.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

My brothers girlfriend recently came to me about fixing a pc that was givin to her for free. I opened the case to find out that there was no memory installed. I happened to have some old memory lying around and stuck it in, it worked. Now I turned on the pc and it did not have an operating system on it. Just to let you know, this is an old pc, it's a Pentium 4. On the case it has an XP Home product key. I borrowed an XP Home CD from a friend and let it load up. I delete the partition and try to install the XP Home edition on pc.
It deletes the partition but when I try to install it says something like "warning this partition already has an operating system on it and continuing the installation could cause problems." I don't understand.
What should I do next?

I tried. I seems to install then restarts then brings up the same thing as before.
Also it said something about the registry may be damaged.

Ok, I dl'ed GParted and put it on a cd. After I load it up, what do I do? I tried deleting the partition and changing the file system from exe1 to fat 32 and NTFS. It deleted and reformatted and restarted the pc and it just goes back to the same thing again. I tried installing windows on there and it seemed to work until it restarted and the same blue screen came back up wanting to know what I want to do with the windows cd. Anything else I should try?

delete the partitions, then create and format them with the windows DVD before install.

Never had to use gparted on scores of xp installs.

It's beginning to sound as though there was a good reason it was free. Have you looked closely at the motherboard to see if it has any failing (dome shaped tops) capacitors? If it passes inspection, try running Memtest86.

Back