• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP HE SP1 question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frozen Shadow

I have a question regarding my copy of Windows XP Home Edition with SP1. I cannot find the slip that has my Key on it. I wanted to do a full reformat though. I was wondering if I can find my key within the OS? If so how can I find it?

C-ya

In win 9x/ME I know that you could find the key in the registry. I think that in XP it is encrypted. Do a google search and I'm sure you will find a utility to read the key for you. Good luck.

the key is on a sticker, you might have stuck it somewhere. i have mine on the inside panel of my case.

im looking forward to the follow-up front page article on making an unattended XP install disk, do you think then you wont need the key to reformat?

original: http://www.overclockers.com/tips1158/

Yes there are programs like mentioned above that read the CD on the computer. And it works like a charm if you can't find that little sticker.

Oh ya I can't wait for that next article that was on the front page. Besides not typeing the CD every single time, I could just drop that in and let it fly sounds good to me hehe.

Have everything install in one crack (all typical programs I run).

KOXC2003 said:
Can also call microsoft and ask for a new key, a lot of people I know have gotten a new key like this.

you can't be serious. there is no chance that microsoft would just give you a new key for windows. they may give you a confirmation number to re-activate windows but not a whole new key...

mbentley said:
you can't be serious. there is no chance that microsoft would just give you a new key for windows. they may give you a confirmation number to re-activate windows but not a whole new key...
You're right because after calling Microsoft one time the first thing they asked was to give them the key. Even then they will only talk to you if you have a retail copy of Windows XP. If it is an OEM copy then they will not help you and direct you to call the place you bought it from. I know this is also true because that is what they told me. If I had told them I had lost the key they would have told me to buy a new copy of Windows. If they did not do this what would prevent someone from getting an illegal copy of Windows XP and then just call Microsft for a key?

Having the key is the main thing because even if you were to destroy your CD Microsoft will sell you a new XP CD to replace it. For instance, I accidently messed up my XP Pro CD. After calling Microsoft and giving them the key for it they sold me a replacement CD for $30.

Back