• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows xp partition cant install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AKPl3

After having an SSD fail on me, I decided to go and divide my 1TB Sata drive to use the Windows XP OS. There are two drives already partitioned on it and I used the smaller capacity one for my OS partition.

After the NTFS format and setup, I'm shown the "a disk read error occured, press ctrlaltdel to restart" error which disables the OS from booting. The SATA controller is enabled on BIOS and its set on IDE channel 1 slave.

I think that this may be a problem with drive letters. When I went to format the drive, the "C" drive ended up being taken by the other partition instead of where I wanted to OS to end up.

Is this the issue? If so, how do I clear up the C drive?

After having an SSD fail on me, I decided to go and divide my 1TB Sata drive to use the Windows XP OS. There are two drives already partitioned on it and I used the smaller capacity one for my OS partition.

After the NTFS format and setup, I'm shown the "a disk read error occured, press ctrlaltdel to restart" error which disables the OS from booting. The SATA controller is enabled on BIOS and its set on IDE channel 1 slave.

I think that this may be a problem with drive letters. When I went to format the drive, the "C" drive ended up being taken by the other partition instead of where I wanted to OS to end up.

Is this the issue? If so, how do I clear up the C drive?

Make sure BIOS is set to IDE and not AHCI or RAID during install. Once the install is done, and you install the drivers you could switch it back. For compatibility its always good to do this...

However, if you try this and you still get that message then you probably have a bad drive.

Back