• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP ---> Windows 2000 Pro? WHY?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sammy5gs

Hey Guys...

Maybe I am bored, but I have been thinking for the past couple of weeks whether or not I should ditch WinXP and go back to my tride and true Windows 2000 Pro. I was very happy with Win 2000 back in the day, but as we all do, I wanted to get the newest thing, and have been running WinXP for a while now, with minor complications. It's just the whole activation process is annoying whenever you change a couple of things, or do reformats, and you gotta call M$oft. Also, WinXP hogs a lot of resources, and I have to go into Services and disable most of them, at the risk of maybe making something not work properly.

Anywho, the question is why would I want to switch back to Windows 2000? I am looking for compelling reasons for/against. Let me know.

I would switch to win2000 just because there are far less crashes and it uses less resources. My Dad has been using Win2k pro since it came out and he hasnt had a single lockup. How good is that? Ive had about 30 in 3 months but they are all my fault LoL. :D I personally think win2k looks better too but thats an opinion. Check my signature for the REAL answer.

You are making too much of this. First of all, doesnt XP install much quicker than win2k in the first place? Reactivation takes a few seconds over the internet (that you dont even need to do unless you do some significant changes). Turning off services should take no more than 10 min especially if you do it often, and it isnt necessary in the first place. And if you do turn them off, you shouldnt complain about resources. When XP first came out, it was shipped with 128mb of ram (probably still the case with some laptops). Today, almost anyone even remotely into computers has at least 512mb. In other words, if XP is putting a dent into your resources, maybe its time for an upgrade. Win2k cannot possibly look better than XP since the two look exactly the same. If anything, XP looks better because you have the option of making it look almost anything you want. My XP crashed only maybe couple of times in half a year and I think it was because I did something wrong, dont remember.

There isnt really a good reason to go one way or another. Like I said in a different thread, I like XP because it has some features that win2k doesnt and looks better.

Back