• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP WINDOWS folder

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whiterabbit391

Registered
Long story short.

I need a copy of the WINDOWS folder from windows XP.

I'm trying to replace one that has a Ransom Trojan in the USER32.DLL

So I figured I would just access the file system on the hard drive through Puppy linux and replace the entire file.

My only friend is running windows 7 so he doesn't have a copy.

I tried searching " windows xp Windows file "

You can imagine what that search returned.

Can anybody just copy that folder and send it to me. ??

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I have an .ISO of windows xp, but don't know exactly which file from that to copy.

I have never heard of simply replacing a single dll file and freeing yourself from ransomware - please post if this ends up being verifiably true, I don't think it is.

If the files you are trying to rescue are encrypted, then it would be difficult to impossible to decrypt.
If the files are not encrypted and only Windows OS is the problem, you may have to rescue the files by booting from Linux media then nuke infected hard drive and reinstall Windows.

If you have malware that is fixable:

Keep pressing F8 to boot into Safe Mode of the infected PC, then install Malwarebytes and run a full scan.
Reboot normally (not into Safe Mode), update Malwarebytes, then run it again.

If that doesn't help:

Do the other things on this list:

01. Reset all browser home pages to what they should be if they have been hijacked.

02. Internet Explorer > Tools > Manage add-ons and reset the search engine. Disable add-ons and search engines that could be malware.

03. Chrome > Settings > Reset the Start Up Page > Delete any suspicious entries > Reset the search engine > Disable add-ons and search engines that could be malware.

04. Uninstall suspicious programs from the computer. If you are not sure what they are, do a search on what they are.

05. Run Malwarebytes > Reboot.

06. Run ADWCleaner

07. Run Hitman Pro

08. Run Eset Online Scanner

09. Uninstall your old Anti Virus software.

10. Install other Anti Virus software, for example Avira Antivir.

Good directions for cleaning malware in post above. I would add a couple of things. If you are also running Firefox and the home page and search engine have been hijacked then reset them to what they should be as was done for IE and Chrome. Then after you do that go into Add/Remove programs and uninstall any malware that may show up there. Then once you have done that start scanning and cleaning with Mawarebytes, ADWCleaner, etc. Uncheck the 30 day trial box during the Malwarebytes installation and setup so you don't commit to the paid version. And with Hitman Pro, select the "one time only" use option.

The other thing is to disable your resident anti virus software's real time scanning until you have cleaned all malware. The other special purpose scanners/cleaners mentioned above may conflict with the resident AV software.

lol, this is the author ↑ of those directions.

I copy-pasted them because I wrote them based on his advice for myself should I n ever need it, then when I copy-pasted them back here, I did not mention who wrote them originally. :D

if you have an iso of xp could it be easier to wipe the drive and reinstall windows?

Back