• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WinXP BSOD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
Here's what happened- I'm checking a coworker's older Compaq laptop to see why the audio is not working. I notice two Windows updates notification icons sitting in the systray, so I let one start installing while I continue checking the machine. Updates finishes, asks for reboot, I say o.k. and as it reboots the the typical Windows shutdown sound can be heard; I'm thinking- hey, things are looking better. NOT. Upon reboot the machine BSODs with the following message:

Code:
The system dll user32.dll was relocated in memory. 
The relocation occured because the DLL C:\windows\system32\ntdll.dll
occupied an address range reserved for windows system dlls. The vendor
supplying the DLL should %s %s

Searching the net suggests that a MS update is what hosed the system, and doing a repair install or clean install is the only solution.

Any other options/alternatives?

Try performing a System Restore, from the "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" option in the Advanced Options menu (in order to access the menu, press the F8 key just before Windows begins to load / directly after POST). You'll need to log on as the administrator, or a user that has administrative rights. At the command prompt, type...

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe ...and then press ENTER

... or if you can enter Safe Mode, then just perform the System Restore from there. Does the user have any third party themes like the Inspirat Brico Pack or Transformation Pack installed? If so, they interfere with Windows Update KB925902...

MS07-017: Vulnerability in GDI could allow remote code execution
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925902

And you might also want to check out this MSKB article, if the Restore works and you make it back to the desktop sucessfully...

Update for Windows XP (KB935448)
Brief Description
Install this update to resolve an issue where the Realtek HD Audio Control Panel may not start after you install security update KB925902 (MS07-017) and security update KB928843 (MS07-008).
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...88-3131-429C-8FCB-F7B3B0FD3D86&displaylang=en

Last edited:
Well, the system would bsod before getting into safe mode/command prompt; I booted a Linux live CD and grabbed the user's documents & copied to a pendrive, so all's well in that respect. It's looking like the only option is to get the owner's restore CD(s) and try to do a repair(or clean install).

Just for reference, what/why does this occur? There's much buzz about this type of occurrence, mainly from around 2005...an MS fubar, or from 3rd parties?

Malware? I noticed a Zango installer on the system; they don't have the best reputation I've noticed. She had also installed some sort of stuff from the "video professor", who seems to be a scammer...maybe peddles malware too?

You could try removing the update via the Recovery Console. I assume the update that caused the BSOD was KB925902 (you can locate the problematic hotfix by following the directions in this article)...

How to uninstall a hotfix or Service Pack via the Recovery Console
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/spuninst.htm

Well, I told the gal to give me the restore CD so that I could get this system repaired. what she sent was a manila envelop with floppy disks for a Packard Bell, which they apparently owned back in the '90s. :screwy:

So, I figured that I could just use one of my XP CDs to do the repair, but forgot that the product code would have to be entered in order to proceed; I entered the product code for my XP license, unsure of whether or not using the laptop's product code(Compaq branded) would work with my OEM CD. The repair was successful, but now there is the activation feature waiting for a response...what to do?

Should I:

Change the product code now(to the laptop's) and activate?

Or, activate the present install, then change the code, to free up my XP license?

Back