• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WinXP doesnt see my hard drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VerizonDSL_Tech

Registered
Got a new problem...
I've got 2 Maxtor hard drives (120GB + 80GB). 80GB is my primary IDE drive & the 120GB is my slave (used for storage purposes). They're both on IDE1. Everything was fine and dandy for months, but I recently decided to format my 80GB hard drive, so I did a full format and reinstalled Windows XP, but now when Windows loads up, it only sees the 80GB drive, but not the 120GB drive under My Computer. Under Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management, I'm able to see the drive there, but there's no drive letter assigned to it and the only option I'm given to perform on it is to delete the partition. Under other circumstances, I don't have a problem formatting the 120GB, but I have 100GB of important stuff on there that I'd like to keep, so formatting or deleting the partition are not an option. Now I've formatted my 80GB drive many times before and reinstalled Windows XP, and everytime it normally detect both drives. My biggest concern is retrieving the data from the hard drive. I've tried installing Windows on the 120GB hard drive, but it says that it doesn't recognize the partition and suggests deleting the partition and installing Windows on the unpartitioned space. I've tried IDE2 as well as another ribbon. I've also tried restoring an entire drive image (Norton Ghost) to the 80GB, a drive image which contains WinXP which has been able to see the 120GB drive before. Any idea on how I can access my data to back it up on CDs or better yet, to get the Windows XP to see my drive?

have you tried running maxblast on it? sounds like the partition table has been ruined on it. You may be able to fix it. Otherwise, it might be time to get some recovery software and get your data off asap.

I would recommend parsing the big block of text into smaller blocks of text. It would help clarity and more people would read it (I did not bother to read it myself).

Have you tried installing file recovery software on your windows drive and scanning the 120 GB drive?

Thanks for the help... I installed data recovery software and managed to copy my data to the working hard drive, then quick formatted my 120GB drive and now Windows can see the drive and all is fine and dandy. 'Preciate the help.

Back