• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wireless difficulties

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chittnp

OK, Im tryingto help my girlfriend set up a wireless network, but the problem is she's in chile and Im in the states. she is using entel DSL and a linksys WRT54g router, I know the modem is PPOe,adn the router should work with it. she can connect to the router on her laptop, but cant get any web pages to come up, msn messenger doesnt work, but her wirelss connection in windows says she's connected to her SSID. I've ried having reboot the modem numerous times as well as the router and her laptop, but still no dice, any suggestions??

Sounds like the router is not talking to the modem right. Does she have to have a username and password to get on the net? If her laptop is hooked straight into the modem does it work?

Doesn't SP2 have an advanced firewall built in? Maybe that is the source of your troubles. But first I would see if the laptop hooked into the modem would work.

I have that same router. I would say disable the windows firewall all together. The router will work just fine for a firewall. I know with the DSL my friend has here, he has to configure the router with a bunch of connection information to get it to work properly, where as with cable internet, you just have to plug in and go.

After you disable the windows firewall, you should have her ping the router (192.168.1.1). As long as that turns out alright, then make sure that all of the information to connect to the WAN is correct. She should be able to find everything she needs in the documentation from the DSL company. If no, a simple call should solve that.

After you get the internet working (or before if you want, as long as the ping is alright), don't forget to handle the wireless security. Disable SSID, enable MAC filtering, and WEP. I like to disable DHCP to, just as an extra precaution. I won't go into detail about that stuff, as it's a whole new area. Good luck.

ended up needing to change the UTM size from 1500 to 1492, kinda weird becasue i never would have thought of that myself, but i guess the manual is good for something after all :/

chittnp said:
ended up needing to change the UTM size from 1500 to 1492, kinda weird becasue i never would have thought of that myself, but i guess the manual is good for something after all :/
Isn't it MTU size?

I've had to change the MTU size to get the internet to work right, but not to connect to my router. Anyway, I'm glad you figured it out.

Back