• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wifi effectiveness

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

I just remodeled my home, well almost done, and will be setting up new wifi. I'm going to basically have a TV hanging on the wall with an Apple Mac Mini that I've turned into a pretty awesome HTPC connected to it. There will be no wires or anything else showing. I just switched from ATT Uverse to Comcast 105mb line. Today I went to Fry's and purchased a Netgear cable modem, can handle 340+mbps, and the Linksys ac1200+ router found here. I chose the Linksys because the price was right and it's AC with the magical beam technology (still waiting to see if it makes a difference). My mac mini, macbook pro, and iphone 6 all have wireless AC capability so it seemed like my best option. Prior to this I have never used a wireless AC setup before so can't wait for it to get connected Saturday to run some tests.

I was trying to do a little searching on google but falling short. I was wondering what the real world range is of a router like this. I was also wondering how much things like walls and cabinets interfere with the signal. Since my home is smaller right now my plans were to put the cable modem/router inside a cabinet that's roughly 25ft away from where the mac mini will be. Outside of the cabinet there will not be any other obstructions to the mini it will be a clear line of sight. From the router to my bedroom it's roughly the same distance however there is a hallway and of course my bedroom door.

With the Mac Mini being used as my HTPC I'll be streaming absolutely everything to it over the internet. I had an old laptop as my HTPC that was wireless N connected to the ATT wireless N modem/router however the router was only 12 or so feet away and behind a chair next to the wall, not in an enclosed area. Do you think the Mac mini with 802.11ac will have any connection issues with the AC router if the router is 20ft away and in a cabinet? How much does something like a cabinet degrade signal? Do you think I'd actually see an increase in performance since I'm going to a 802.11AC system?

I don't really know the quality of the ATT router/modem I had but hoping this setup can still work since I'd like to keep everything as wireless as possible. Routers are so fugly I'd rather not have to have it out unless it's an absolute requirement. My entire home is only 1240sq feet and with the cabinet position it'd be dead center of the house basically.

Thanks,
Duck

AC router is generally very good, i got the ASUS AC100 router and a Motorola modern
Curently i'm in the basement now and here are the test speed (i got time warner)

Untitled.jpg

Back