• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wireless problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hansbbans

Registered
hi everyone,
i just built my first rig and everything seems to be ok except I cant get the wireless pci card to work. I'm using a linksys WRT54G router and a linksys WMP54G pci card. I'm pretty sure that the router settings are correct because my roomates laptop connects to the wireless network just fine(i'm using it now). As for me, the majority of the time i get the message, "you are connected to the access point, but the INternet cannot be found." I also get, " youhave succesfully connected to the acces point and the INternet" which allows me to briefly connect to the internet. this connection, however, is very very slow and often gets dropped after sometime. I also get the message, " can not connect to the access point" at times. To answer common questoins, i do have dhcp enabled for the router and my pc, and i've upgraded the firmware for hte router and the driver for the card. ipconfig /release then ipconfig /rewn gives me:

ip address: 192.168.1.100
subnet: 255.255.255.0
gateway: 192.168.1.1

any suggestions?

How far are you from the router? Maybe moving it a little closer will help.
Also, try moving the network card into a different PCI slot, but make sure it's not in the one right next to your AGP port.

What security measures do you have in place (e.g. WEP)? Make sure all of your settings are correct there. Try different network card drivers (the latest isn't always the best or most compatible).

Do you have a wireless access control setup on your router as security measure? If so, make sure your MAC address is listed.

These are random troubleshooting steps. I don't know if any of these suggestions will help you at all.

You may also want to give LinkSys Tech support a shot.

Back