• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wish BIOS was standardized

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrsteve0924

Cubed Beef Stew Member
so i just started to lean about overclocking. spent a lot of time reading an learning. i was able to get my CPU from stock 3.0 to 3.6, but I am thinking I should be able to get more.

the most frustrating thing about learning about OC is that my BIOS will use different names for things than what is in the many tutorials posted. it's hard to put it all together when you have "translate" and then find what you're looking for.

am i on point with this or is it just i am new and it will get better with experience?

i imagine my current mobo is not well suited to overclocking too so that might be adding to my frustration.

one specific question: it seems if i my HT link goes over 1000mhz i cant POST. is that the limit for my mobo?

Attachments

• 3.6ghz.jpg
    3.6ghz.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 86
It gets better as you go, but it would be nice to have a standard, I agree. But even when you think you know a lot, you still hit really stupid options in the BIOS. Just yesterday, I was troubleshooting something on one of my servers, and found an option that was labeled "CPU HPC Mode", which enabled/disabled as option. The description read "Enables or disables CPU HPC mode"; thanks, that is extremely helpful! Had to look that one up to find out it wasn't related.

Basically put, you will always hit questions because manufacturers tend to be stupid. Unless it is profitable to not be stupid, they will continue in their ways.

well im happy it aint just me. yea those disable/enable descriptions are the best

will UEFI address some of this?

I can say for certain that it will not. There isn't a reason for anyone to come out with a standard because the manufacturers believe that they have a superior BIOS. So from their perspective, why should they follow someone else?

What would be really nice is if the bios's where modifiable for serious OC'ers.

most frustrating thing about learning about OC is that my BIOS will use different names for things than what is in the many tutorials posted

Use the bios often and you'll learn it faster than reading tutorials. Trial and error, write your settings down each time you F10 and save so you don't forget where you left off or made the mistake at. And also, make small and as few adjustments as possible at one time. That will help you tons.

Depends on how bad you want/need it.
Almost all of my boards have self modded bios'.

wish i had the know-how to do this. i would have added the apm option in my boards bios ages ago...............

Not everything is possible as far as bios modding goes. There is much trial and error......and many new bios chips and hotflashes. On a 1-10 scale I'm about a 4 at it. I know a few people who are quite good at it though. I still learn pretty good with the 3 braincells I have left. :D

Too much weed eh? Or too much ln2? Just so you know, i don't even have basic programing knowledge. maybe some turbo pascal left in my head somewhere. :rofl:

Back