• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wonder if these two memory modules can run along side each other

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mmoalem

I have 2x8gb ram modules installed my PC - G Skill F3-1866C8-8GTX - I salvaged 2 8GB modules from a dead PC - G Skill F3-14900CL10-8GBXL - does anyone know if I can use them together?

Possibly, it is always a crapshoot mixing ram though. If you have them both in hand I would give it a try you really are not going to hurt anything. I would start of by seeing your system to default settings in bios before adding the second set of sticks. If it runs there you can then start to manually increase the speed and voltages and then drop timings. All adjustments should be done manually as you will not be able to enable XMP with the mixed kits.

Possibly, it is always a crapshoot mixing ram though. If you have them both in hand I would give it a try you really are not going to hurt anything. I would start of by seeing your system to default settings in bios before adding the second set of sticks. If it runs there you can then start to manually increase the speed and voltages and then drop timings. All adjustments should be done manually as you will not be able to enable XMP with the mixed kits.

thanks! am not planning to overclock the system so that's sound promising

thanks! am not planning to overclock the system so that's sound promising

Just keep in mind that even at stock they may not play nice together. Can I ask what the system components are like the motherboard and cpu, also what version of Windows are you running?

Just keep in mind that even at stock they may not play nice together. Can I ask what the system components are like the motherboard and cpu, also what version of Windows are you running?

motherboard is GIGABYTE Z97P-D3 with I7-4790K and GTX 760 Ti running windows 10 pro. The new set of RAM sticks came of ASUS Sabertooth 990fx Motherboard with AMD FX-8350

Ok that board should handlethat much ram just fine. If you try it and it gives you problems there is a few voltages that may need to be adjusted to help support that much ram.

thanks - will give it a go sometime this week and will report back if there are any issues

Back