• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wondering if my comp is worthy of the oc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

netslayer

Registered
ok im pretty new to this so i was looking for your guys advice on whether my comp is worthly of ocing and also any tips on what to improve there are some things i dont know about the obvious reason im here lol here goes my specs at its current setup bios and all.

windows xp pro sp1
amd xp barton 2600+
msik7n2delta mobo
512 mushkin enhanced memory blue line pc 2700
gainward fx 5200 pro 660 vid card golden sample
sb 16pci sound card
80 gb maxtor 7200 hd

its also i factory heatsink so any tips on good ones let me know.

my bios info is here for the memory timings when i reboot it says dual channel ddr 400mhz for some reason and its 333 the dram clock is 200 mhz.
mem timings are 8 3 3 3.0 dont know much about them maybe some help as well. and there is a fsb spread spectrum [0.5%] have no idea what that is and what it should be set at my temps i am getting are cpu 45 c and system 33 c. sorry its kinda garbled and long maybe some tips and help from u guys very much appreciated if u need any other nfo just let me know thanks alot. heres the wcpuid pic.

Attachments

• cpu info.jpg
    cpu info.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 271
There are three issues that will affect your ability to O/C this rig:

1. The stock HSF - Get rid of it -- NOW!
2. The MSI 7n2delta has a limit of 1.8V for the CPU core. This can act as a limitation to your O/C, depending on your processor. As you can see on the sig, I've got a fairly decent O/C on mine.
3. Your Barton may be locked. Other wiser heads here might know for certain.

Oh Yeah, and by the way, Welcome to the forums!

this should be in the amd cpu section but whatever

your cpu is locked if it has a week 39 or later on the stepping (black tape on cpu)

yeah the MSI is not a good OC board but i am sure you will be able to squeeze a decent oc out of it.... try for 2200mhz im sure it would work...

but yeah definetly ditch the stock HSF

sorry for it being in the wrong thread im new. also ill def get another heatsink and fan any suggestions? and i dont know how to read the numbers so here they are AXDA2600DKV4D T840626B40514 AQZFA0405UPMW 1999 as far as i can guess id say it looks like its unlockable:mad: :( dam amd still love em to death though also couldnt beat the 60 bucks i paid for it at pc club. :D not sure if its locked or not please let me know thanks for advice.

Last edited:
netslayer said:
also ill def get another heatsink and fan any suggestions?

AXDA2600DKV4D AQZFA0405UPMW.

You have an AQZFA stepping, year 04, week 05. Locked.

Only option: Raise the FSB. It cannot be unlocked on NFII's AFAIK.

For heatsink/fan? SLK900A or 947U or sp-97 if you wanna go that far, and a high CFM fan. Noise = tornado for best performance, but if noise is an issue, get a variable speed controller for it, or a quieter fan.

Barton retail heatsink, unlike Thoroughbred and Palomino heatsinks, actualy can be used for moderate overclocking.

Your chip is multiplier locked for sure at 11.5 because it was made in 2004.

MHz speed = [FSB] x multiplier

Because you have PC2700 RAM, you can overclock between 166 and low 190s FSB unless you have a mislabled RAM stick.

So you're looking at between 1.9 GHz and 2.2 GHz.

Even your retail heatsink should be able to do somewhere in between there so good luck.

When you increase your Vcore voltage a little, be sure to watch your temperatures.

For a cheaper and smaller heatsink, try the Vantec Aeroflow. Not the Aeroflow 2 though. I'm using one now and have pretty good temps and I paid 20 instead of 40 bucks. I feel for you though, I have a locked Barton too, didn't know that there were locked processors at the time, pretty sad. Also, it sounded like you were wondering about your ram. DDR 400 has a clock of 200 and supports a system bus of 400 and a FSB of 200 on AMD's and some motherboards have Dual Channel set ups which changes the memory from 64 to 128 bit which dramatically increases the performance. Don't know if you knew that or not, so now you know:) or knew....

Back