• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Woohoo! Using Ubuntu Linux...or well learning it.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Angry

Well awhile back I was messing with smoothwall and pfsense right before my network switch died. So... I decided to mess with Ubuntu as per a suggestion from a friend.

So far I like it, it has my favorite web browser, Firefox heh.
I set it up in my bedroom on my old AthlonXP 2400+ (I think, its a barton core lol) on a MSI nForce2 MB with 512mb PC3200 DDR and a radeon, 9500?
LOL... I havent messed with this stuff in so long Ive forgotin what most of it was.

Ive been using it to play music off www.Last.fm . So far so good, I havent found away play it outside of firefox, I couldnt figur out how to install the last.fm Linux application.

Nonetheless its working great so far. I think it could use another 512mb of ram though.

Any pointers for a complete linux newbe?

Make sure you install the restricted drivers so you can watch DVDs and such (also adds the java/flash released with the distro version.)
If you are unsure of how to do something you want to please post.

Once you download the last.fm application you need to extract the package using archive manager.

Go to the extracted folder in a terminal window, then issue the command:
sudo ./configure && make

That will configure/compile/install the last.fm linux application.

Then to run it you issue:
bin/last.fm.sh

This is explained in the readme file thats in the folder you extracted. Its not completely clear, but its there. There are further requirements and details listed there also which may help more.

Most things in Ubuntu can and should be done thru apt or synaptic for installing software, but if you really want to run certain apps like this that aren't available thru your package managers, you can install them from source which is what the instructions above explain. If I were you, I would use one of the applications above to connect to last.fm rather than installing the linux app, but thats your own preference. Installing apps from source, managing upgrading them, and so forth can seem a bit archaic if you are new to linux - this usually means your doing things the hard way tho, and there are "easier" alternatives for doing the same thing like others suggested.

Back