• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worklog: Help a nub with a semi passive phase change setup!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jctusmc03

First off, I'm a nub to the forums so flame away if you must. Next, prepare yourselves, I'm completely new to phase change setups so you're going to need to break things down for me Barney style.

Due to my Barney status in this I decided I better look for some input and advice from those that have already done this, made mistakes, broken stuff, and figured out better ideas so that hopefully I don't make as many mistakes. I also want you to be honest with me: Tell me if plans are stupid, if I'm dreaming, and if I'm being a nub. I can take it I assure you, I've been on the internet for 10+ years, saving money and doing a better job are more important to me.

My current project is to do a custom mostly passive phase change system that will be able to cool my i7 920 DO that's currently at 3.8 (I'll be upgrading this soon to a 2600k or better) on water and my 7970('s x2 soon) that's using it's stock 3 fans. I want to do this without breaking the bank preferably. I also want it to be as upkeep free as possible, while not taking up tons of space.

Whatever I rig up I want fresh coolant going to each separate piece of hardware individually then back to the cooler so as to keep an even, cold, temperature in all devices and throughout the loop for better component and overclocking performance.

So due to that, I already know whatever I end up doing I'm going to be doing some customization on the actual cooling loop and possibly components to allow fresh coolant to go to three different components at once from the start, then recombining them again and I'm probably going to have to have a beefier radiator and pump due to this so those are planned already.

---
I'm going to use this main post as my "log" to keep all of my needs, and progress in as this project goes on.
---

I know a basic list of items I'm going to need is: Vacuum pump, pressure/temp gauge, tubings and fittings, radiator, water blocks, and some type of non-freeze coolant. I have no idea where to start with these though, what components have good ratings and what doesn't, or how to set up the loop for the best performance. I'm hoping this is where you all can provide me with some recommendations as to affordable well performing equipment, filling in any blanks I've missed in my plan, and instructions for how to set one of these systems up and optimize it as I'm doing it.

I'd also appreciate links to any parts you recommend, and if possible any noob proof trusted guides you all know of so I can study before I start buying and modifying all of my parts over the next month or two.

I appreciate you assistance, and I plan to update this main post over the following months (as extra funds appear) with pictures, component choices, and performance specs so as to possibly help others that come along in the future. Thanks all!

IMHO, it will be easier to get something from Cooler Express or something like that instead of trying to make it DIY.

BUT! Don't take this as an encouragement! It's just that I'm not as skilled as maybe you're!! If you want to do this yourself, heck, do it! WITH A SINGLE RULE. Upload as many posts WITH PICS as possible :D

So are you thinking about using a phase to chill the water, or a multi-head phase?
Both have been done, multihead phase is far from affordable.
Water chiller is as cheap as a dissected window AC unit.

Back