• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worst scores ever / 3D Mark 05 + GeForce 5900XT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Melkiades

Hi there,

I'm getting extremely bad scores and FPS with 3D Mark 05 1.20 (Score of 1037) and don't know what to try anymore. I haven't tried 3D Mark 01 and 03 yet.

Here's my config:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+
MSI K8T Neo2-FIR with latest Bios Rev.
1 Gig RAM in Dual Channel configuration @ 400 Mhz (kingston)
MSI nVidia GeForce 5900 XT with nVidia's 7.1.8.4 drivers
2 X 160 Gb drives in RAID Mirror config using Promise's onboard controller (should have I used the VIA onboard controller instead?)

I also ran other Graph tests. Here's what the GT2 - Firefly Forest returns, notice how the FPS fluctuates very strangely:

Time FPS
0.00 5.88
0.17 40.00
0.20 3.11
0.52 38.46
0.54 3.12
0.86 38.46

And it goes on like this...min is 1.055, max is 40, and average is 11.31.

Note also that 3D Mark 05 thinks that HyperThreading is not supported on this CPU but that the AMD CPU Info utility disagrees, saying that it is there at 16 bits x 16 bits @ 1000 Mhz.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Regards,
Melkiades

you know i never really tried the geforce 5 series, try comparing that to other benchmarks of 5900 and maybe changing your driver try the 66.93 or the 71.9 at guru 3d. Don't really know anything about that but hopefully it helps, by the way is your vid card oc'd? coz if you go above what yuour card can handle it actually lowers its scores... and try 3d mark 03 you should score around 6000 to 8000

Hate to break it to you but those scores look about right. :( If you compare your result to other 5900s you will see similar trends. GeforceFXs are really that slow in DX9 mode.

Btw :welcome: to the forums!

thank you Fireball for your fast reply.

No, the card is not OC'd - I'm new at this and wouldn't even know how to do it - dohhh :(

But you were right about 3D Mark 03, I am getting a score of 5194 and much better FPS results throughout the various tests. It's still quite bad but this is only a 5900 XT...

But I'm still wondering why 3D Mark 05 (and 03 by the way) don't see that this CPU has Hyperthreading capabilities, even though I have all the latest versions. And I'm also curious to explain that fluctuation in 3DM05's FPS results. I have a feeling that it's something in my BIOS. I'll do some more research.

Cheers,
melkiades

u might try a 5x.xx driver those where optimiged for the 5xxx series
as for ur raid yes u should have used the via (but its not ur problem) cause the via raid is intigrated into the chipset and therefore not limited by the pci bus and you should try stripeing instead of mioring it is alot faster but doesnt provide data redundancy although the promise controler does use less cpu usage than the via

sean478, yes I know about Striping, but I wanted data redundancy as I would kill myself if one of my drives failed (reinstalling a system is, for me, the worst nightmare). Also, mirroring does give you 70% faster reads (i know it's slower on writes).

Sean, I know this may be out of topic, but is it too late to switch from the Promise Raid config to the VIA one without reformatting completely? I wonder why MSI offers both if one is not as fast. If it's impossible, maybe I could use Acronis.com to make an image, format, switch to VIA Raid, then bring back the image. By the way, I'm sure all of you will appreciate Acronis, as it can do live images from within Windows, something Ghost won't do.

Thank you for the other posts - glad to see that my system is normal :)

cheers
melkiades

actucaly i wouldent even bother until the next time u reformat but if u must u might be able ti phisicaly move the aray without a hitch but id doubt it and there is the posibility that via might write something on ur aray that could make it unuseable on the promice if u try to put it back if u have a spare hd laying around id copy the raid partition over to it and then try moveing the aray and if it doesnt work just copy the backup to a new aray

the reason msi puts 2 of those in their mobos is cause somepeople might want more drive than the onchip controler suports and a pci baised(promice) is the only other solution lots of mobo makers do that its even on mine (silicon image though)

ps. i forgot that mioring increased read times thanks

That's seem about right. I had a bfg 5900ultra 256mb that with the max oc and killer bios i got 1500 in 3dmark2k5. But i got 7k in 3dmark2k3 though. :drool:

I didn't know that AMD had a CPU with Hyper-Threading. Isn't that an Intel technology?

kindred said:
I didn't know that AMD had a CPU with Hyper-Threading. Isn't that an Intel technology?

this isn't hyperthreading, I guess he confused it with the HyperTransport (HT) Bus,
which is actually running at 1000MHz, like it said in his cpu utility.
There is no hyperthreading for on AMD CPUs at the moment.

edit: and like said above, your scores are ok for this card.. geforce FXs are really bad..

Melkiades said:
But I'm still wondering why 3D Mark 05 (and 03 by the way) don't see that this CPU has Hyperthreading capabilities,s

3dmark 03 and 05 are HIGHLY video card dependant especially 05' - those score are about right for your video card, it just isnt that great at dx9 and the newer stuff out there.

Mr.Guvernment said:
3dmark 03 and 05 are HIGHLY video card dependant especially 05' - those score are about right for your video card, it just isnt that great at dx9 and the newer stuff out there.

03 actualy cause when i oc my proc it makes a dif on 05 but rarely on 03

Back