• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worth keeping?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

A friend gave me an old pc of his. It has a Core 2 Duo E4600 @ 2.4 Conroe. 2GB DUAL-CHANNEL ddr2 @ 332 mhz. Says Hewlett Packard OAACh XU1 processor.
Intel Q35 Express Chipset Family (HP). 4GB Seagate ATA Sata and ab Audio Soundmax integrated Digital HD Audio.
Look's like an EATX mb. Should I upgrade this at all, try to sell it or just trash it? Oh it is still running Vista.

Should I upgrade this at all, try to sell it or just trash it? Oh it is still running Vista.
Is this up to us? Not sure we can help out tremendously on this one, honestly.

It has enough horsepower to be a fileserver or NAS or something...do you have any uses for it in its current state or upgraded? If you look up the board, pretty sure it will support a Q6600 or Q9550 so you can throw a quad in it....but to what end? Is any of that something you need or want? I don't think you can get much money for it regardless. That's grabage to me unless I could personally use the thing.

Guess I'll leave it out by the street and put a free sign on it, I'm sure someone could use it.

You could turn it into a Linux play machine. It will run Linux efficiently.

It really depends on what you wanted to do with it? If you want an internet machine, you'd have to ditch Vista. The HDD probably needs to be replaced along with fans and optical drives if you even want one at all. Same would be true if you wanted to turn it into a NAS, file server or any other project machine. The moving parts would need to be replaced on something that old.

If you just want to try something like Linux or play around, you could do that as is. Otherwise, pull the drive and trash it.

Note: If you do decide to replace parts, make sure that all of the capacitors on the boards look flat and free of ooze.

I thought all Linux was free. You only pay support from those distro's that offer it.

https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Download it and burn it to a DVD or a USB. It boots right into the Linux desktop from the media and you can try it out from there without having to install it to your hard drive. It will be slow if you run it from the media but if you want to you can install it on the hard drive once you boot from the media. Just make sure you tell the computer to choose the Linux boot device to start with.

RHEL is for enterprise and is paid and fully supported. That is not a 'distro' that he would be using I'd imagine. :)

Back