• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

worth upgradeing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rage_killerz

Registered
Hi all im thinking to upgrade my motherbord along with cpu and memory. my current motherbord is an asus saberooth z77 with an i5 3570k and 16 gb (2x8) corsair vengance 1600mhz i feel like these components are bottelnecking my system. im paird with sli 980tis.

at this point i was thinking to go with an x99 chipset either the X99-DELUXE-II or Asus ROG STRIX X99 a 6800k and CMD16GX4M2A2666C15 (corsair dominator ddr4)

but then i thought maybe z170 would be a better slightly cheaper choise. i would only be using it for gaming. but i have high requierments as i would be using a samsung 4k screen. and plan to upgrade the gpus later down the line when the 1080 ti hits the market. so im not sure what would be best. anyone have any ideas?

Overclock the CPU... that is most of the issue.

I don't see a point in X99 personally. Just grab 6700K and Z170 for you listed uses. When the 1080ti comes out, you can likely 4K on it without a second one... depending no your FPS requirements (should run most everything on ultra without/little AA).

i do overclock my cpu..but i think its just a **** one .i could never get it stable properly.tryd for ages .. most i got out of it was 4.5 but it was crashing. so i left it at 4.1 and never looked back..but games are slowing down and i think the cpu is just not up to par wtih games now. since im on a 4k screen and still have to settel for 1440p. even with 2 sli 980tis i feel i wasted my monny on sli :S i want solid 60fps with vsync. and im not getting that . right so z170 then. ok

What's the cooling like on your current system? Maybe that's why it was crashing when you were trying to overclock it higher.

I wouldn't count on a huge performance improvement if you move up to skylake. Just not that much difference over Ivy. Your video demands are going to tax any current technology.

i do overclock my cpu..but i think its just a **** one .i could never get it stable properly.tryd for ages .. most i got out of it was 4.5 but it was crashing. so i left it at 4.1 and never looked back..but games are slowing down and i think the cpu is just not up to par wtih games now. since im on a 4k screen and still have to settel for 1440p. even with 2 sli 980tis i feel i wasted my monny on sli :S i want solid 60fps with vsync. and im not getting that . right so z170 then. ok
Are you trying to run with AA on 4K? You can usually turn it off or down a lot.

I play at 4K now with a single 1080... depending on the title, I have AA off (not needed mearly as much because of higher pixel density), or set at 2x/4x. Also, I play at Ultra settings... this includes:

BF4, Battlefront, Dirt: Rally, Doom... I couldn't do that on Crysis without turning things down..a lot... but Far Cry Primal need a couple tweaks. Ashes of the Singularity needed adjusted a bit as well, but it can more easily run less FPS than those FPShooter/driving games.

Last edited:
It is a 25% improvement going form Ivy Bridge to skylake i5 6600k. You must have something wrong with the system the i5 3570k CPU should be able to push the FPS at 1080p to 60-150 FPS if you were running that resolution, when you up the resolution to 1440p it takes more video card not CPU power, I would check for a Virus.

If you need some help overclocking we can help however i5 3570k CPU will do fine at 1440p stock CPU clock.

Back