• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would like opinions on a sandy bridge build before i click "buy"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lcdatalore

So time to upgrade my computer and heres what ive picked out. Would just like any personal opinions or an okay that everything is compatible. Appreciate any input. This is mainly going to be for gaming. I do plan to OC the CPU.

CPU= Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge
- The benefits of getting a i7 for HT seems negligible. This seems like best bang for the buck.

MB= ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0)
- I only plan on doing 1 graffics card but would like it to be possible for me to go SLI if i chose too. Also the pro seems to be micro atx only? Just personal preference i guess, i prefer standard atx.

RAM= G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
- Good reviews. Seems perfect for what im doing.

Graffics Card= EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1572-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5
- Again best bang for the buck. Could always SLI when prices drop. Also does EVGA still do the step-up program?

SSD= Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC
-Ouch expensive. But matches my old raptor HDD in GB. So i know it will be able to hold all the games i have perma installed plus some extra and the OS.

CPU Cooler= Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler
- Do plan to OC.

Case= Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower
- Have a Antec 900 before and love it. More room in the 1200 and more cable management. Expensive but i like it, plus i like the PSU they made specifically for some of these antec cases.

PSU= Antec CP-850 850W Continuous Power CPX SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC "compatible with Core i7" Power Supply
- Extra big PSU for better air flow in the PSU to match the case.

OS= Windows 7 Home Premium
- Does this still have XP compatibility mode in the properties tab? I know 7 pro has a virtual XP but its not what im referring to.

Already have extra HDDs for backup and storing files.

Total comes to around 1.6-1.7k. Would appreciate any input anyone has or any ways to shave off any unnecessary $$ being spent on the core components. Thanks.

:welcome: to OCForums!

All the components look good.

Personally, I would get a 120GB SandForce SSD. It has a little slower reads, double the write speeds, and it would cost less.

With SB, the motherboard used isn't really a factor for 24/7 overclocks. I would go with the P8P67 Pro or other cheaper SLI capable board since you want to keep the multi-GPU option available. That could save some cash.

SB runs very cool too even at high clocks, so the best air cooler available isn't necessary.

Yes, the compatibility options are still in Win7.

:welcome: to OCForums!

All the components look good.

Personally, I would get a 120GB SandForce SSD. It has a little slower reads, double the write speeds, and it would cost less.

With SB, the motherboard used isn't really a factor for 24/7 overclocks. I would go with the P8P67 Pro or other cheaper SLI capable board since you want to keep the multi-GPU option available. That could save some cash.

SB runs very cool too even at high clocks, so the best air cooler available isn't necessary.

Yes, the compatibility options are still in Win7.

Thanks! Think i will end up going with a 120gb sandforce then. Will save about $50 too.

The Pro will save around another $50 as well. Don't think i will ever use all the features of the deluxe to be honest. The hard part is going to be finding one thats in stock, but i can wait for that.

Thanks again

Back