• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WOW! Brand new WD 500gig black - DOA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joeteck

Retired
WOW!

Building a new system for a client, basic system. However wanted space and a fast drive.

This is my first DOA hard drive from WD.

Thankfully I have another 500gig black drive, but I noticed something very interesting about the two...

They both say "SATA / 32MB Cache 500gig WD5001AALS

DOA drive: WD5001AALS-00L3B2
Good Drv: WD5001AALS-00J7B1

However one (the DOA) seems noticeably lighter.

Different Circuit board, and I think a 1 or 2 less platters.

The manufacture date on the DOA drive is 29 APR 2010, the other "good drive" is 06 APR 2010.

I'm going to return it to Newegg.com instead of WD, since I just got the thing..

My experiences with WD RMA have been positive, I've had to RMA a few WD externals (MyBooks, Elements...I think WD uses low-grade components in their enclosures). You're well within warranty so WD shouldn't give you any grief if you try to RMA it thru them. Anyway, good luck. I've had my fair share of WD DOAs recently. :(

My experiences with WD RMA have been positive, I've had to RMA a few WD externals (MyBooks, Elements...I think WD uses low-grade components in their enclosures). You're well within warranty so WD shouldn't give you any grief if you try to RMA it thru them. Anyway, good luck. I've had my fair share of WD DOAs recently. :(
Haha, you should see my thread on them then!

Well, Since its a new purchase, I'm going through newegg instead of WD, so that in itself will be better.
That is true, missed that.

Back