• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New WD Caviar Black not recognized in OS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackkat

Edit: Solved.

Hello,

I've recently purchased my first Sata drive, a bare WD Caviar Black 640GB 3.0gb/s from Newegg. The problem is, I can't use it. I'm hoping that someone can help me discover if the issue is on my end or if the HD is dead.

My specs

Windows 7 SP1
Asus/(HP OEM) Amberine A8AE-LE bios version 3.13
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 2.2ghz
1gb ram
Quantum Fireball lct 30GB on IDE (Working, Windows Disk)
WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s (Not found in Windows)
$2 Ebay Sata Cables

The only evidence of life I've seen from this drive is its continuous appearance in the bios. I've searched for it under disk management in Windows 7. I've tried to format it with the Windows 7 installation disc but it isn't listed as an installed drive. I tried to format it with a Windows XP installation disc (got error 0x80070484 after it presented the drive for install), I've also tried to format it with Easus partition manager which didn't recognize it and a Kubuntu Linux dvd that recognized the WD disk then gave an error saying it the format had failed. I've tried uninstalling all the cables from the motherboard and drive and reconnecting them, trying the 2 possible Sata ports on my mobo 2-3 times a piece. I've tried removing my IDE drive from the computer altogether, somehow causing errors and bad sectors, alas, the damn WD drive is a no-go, connected to the motherboard with no connectivity whatsoever.

The only options I haven't exhausted include updating my bios, asking a friend to test it for me in their computer, and RMA. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated greatly.

Last edited:
Its not in the disc mgmt console? are you looking at both listings? At the top ther is a list of active drives, it wont be there. Scroll down and you should see all the drives connected to the system. The new drive will not be initialized. It will have a black bar running across it.

Thanks for the reply. In Win 7, Computer Management> Disk Management in the top center box my 30GB IDE drive is listed, and in the bottom center frame the same IDE drive is listed as well as my DVD drive. Nothing else.

A storm is passing through so I powered my computer off, since then the WD Sata drive is not listed in the bios anymore. When the computer 'Searches for IDE devices' It lists my IDE drive and DVD drive, unused slots say 'none,' but the slot which used to list my WD Sata is blank now.

I'm starting to suspect the drive never worked after I received it.

I've seen this many, many times with WD drives, almost all of mine in fact. The problem is in the BIOS, not Windows. The BIOS must recognize the drive in order for Windows to recognize it. Check your SATA cables. If they don't lock into place, they can sometimes slip off and not make a solid connection.

One trick I've used is to boot up with your existing drive with the new drive's power plug attached (with one side of the SATA cable already attached to the mobo), then manually plug the SATA cable into the new drive. Windows has always recognized it for me, then I initialize the drive in Disk Management. Turn it all off, then remove/disconnect your IDE drive, install Windows on the new drive, then plug the IDE drive back in and copy your files over.

Most likely its the motherboard reset cmos and set all settings to optimized defaults and try again with only the SATA drive in and set bios to AHCI mode, not IDE mode.

I've seen this many, many times with WD drives, almost all of mine in fact. The problem is in the BIOS, not Windows. The BIOS must recognize the drive in order for Windows to recognize it. Check your SATA cables. If they don't lock into place, they can sometimes slip off and not make a solid connection.

One trick I've used is to boot up with your existing drive with the new drive's power plug attached (with one side of the SATA cable already attached to the mobo), then manually plug the SATA cable into the new drive. Windows has always recognized it for me, then I initialize the drive in Disk Management. Turn it all off, then remove/disconnect your IDE drive, install Windows on the new drive, then plug the IDE drive back in and copy your files over.

My sata cables are the cheap red ones that do not lock, but I've carefully and securely connected them each time I tried to boot. I've tried booting the computer and loading Windows, plugging the sata cable into the HD afterwards like you advised but it still was not found.

Most likely its the motherboard reset cmos and set all settings to optimized defaults and try again with only the SATA drive in and set bios to AHCI mode, not IDE mode.

This is a good possibility, only I've already requested an RMA and I'm hoping the next drive will be less problematic. I attempted to edit the bios but I can't access them. It tells me to hold F1 but it doesn't open the bios, and I've tried numerous other bios key combinations. The motherboard being OEM apparently doesn't want me in there. Will reseting the CMOS allow me to access the bios or would my ability to edit it be unchanged?

Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

I've tried the above mentioned keys and then some, and I've reset the CMOS password on the mobo hoping that would make a difference. The only thing I've been able to do since owning the motherboard is access a screen allowing me to select the device boot order. I'm afraid the board is simply locked, I haven't found any guidance on google as to unlocking the bios though I know people with similar boards can access them with the F1 key that it tells you to use.

Have never seen a board that could not get in the BIOS, ever. Are you tapping the keys before it even posts? Power on, start tapping.

HP should be F10. Asus would be Del. F1 and F2 are others, but according to what you're saying it's Del or F10.

With all respect, I just don't think you're hitting it at the right time (that's what she said).

I recieved a replacement drive today from Newegg and it appears to be working perfectly, though I haven't been able to access my bios, I'm happy to know that the first drive was DOA and that my motherboard is ready to use sata devices. Thanks all!

Ugh that sucks; I guess the only good thing is maybe you were able to learn something while jumping through all these hoops just to find out a piece of hardware was bad?!

Back