• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WOW Nvidia really is starting to show REAL signs of defeat. MUST READ

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
nvidia wont go down..people started saying AMD was going to go down around when the 2200 tbred came out..because it wasnt very good..and it was having so many delays..but look at amd now. they are gaining market share, coming out with new chips and trying to get the clawhammer to us ASAP. nvidia wont go down for a long long time...until there is a 3rd player in the video card market...and its better than ATI OR NVIDIA. its called a ditch. in the words of the brother dude in the movie Driven....
Everyone falls down, thats O.K., its just how fast you get back up that matters.

that was a horrible movie btw

That was just some guys opinions on everything going on. I didnt see any quotes from anything anyone from Nvivia might have said. I like hard facts like quotes from the people who make the stuff. so Bleh to that story..........

yea the GF-FX is only a small slowdown to Nvidia, unless the put out a few more cards as high quality as the GF-FX, it will have no effect in the longrun. last time i checked ATI had barely gained any marketshare, and nvidia hasent lost any. as long as nvidia kicks it into highgear, they will have no problem keeping up with ATI, remember that the GF-FX is a HUGE increase over the GF4 core, Nvidia didnt design it to compete with the r300, their next card on the otherhand might very well tear the r350 apart, we havent heard anything about the nv35 yet, who knows how mind numbing it is going to be

breez said:
If nVidia fades away, there's going to be someone else to compete with Ati. SiS maybe? Or S3? Only god knows.

Maybe Intel? Seriously, lord knows they've got the ability to do it and take a big chunk out of the market if they really wanted to. Thus far, they've just been going for "good enough" with integrated solutions.

dude, you ppl think that nvidia wil go under after one failed video card? come on grow up! theyre no where NEAR going under. i mean, do u actually want them to go under? if you do, you cant really call yourself a computer builder, can you?

Overclocker550 said:
I feel sorry for them really :cry: but fate has its ways. soon ATI is gonna be a monopoly

heh, no. ATi may have the top-of-the-line card for gaming enthusiasts, but that's but a small percentage of graphics cards sold, let alone chipsets, etc.

They are in good shape.

cruc1fy said:

heh, no. ATi may have the top-of-the-line card for gaming enthusiasts, but that's but a small percentage of graphics cards sold, let alone chipsets, etc.

They are in good shape.

He's right. I work in tech support for Dell. I can tell you that the VAST majority of recent systems that I see ship with a GF4 MX420 card. Or the Intel Extreme Graphics integrated into the 845g chipset. I think I've seen a SMALL handful of 9700 Pro cards and a few more 9700 TX (non-pro) cards. The other 95%+ are GF4 MX or integrated Intel graphics.

I hate to say this HERE, in THIS thread, but if bad video cards and things like bad drivers and bad support (the last 2 nvidia can't ever be accused of) were things that would cause a company to go under, ATI would be a bad taste in all our mouths right now, and nothing more.

ATI is still around, and from all appearances, they are stronger for it, and learned some things.

nVidia evidently needed a good uppercut to the jaw, because that's what they got - but it's NOT fatal in any respect.

Black_Paladin said:

Notice the words "Limited Availibility" though. There have been only about 5000 or so of these cards shipped *worldwide* and there probably won't be any more shipments. I wonder how many cards Alienware received...

If you are crazy about getting an Alienware computer that sounds like an alien too (or vacuum cleaner), here is your chance though! :D

someone said 100,000 ultras were being made but I dont beive him. I was thinking maybe 500. I did hear about 500 to 1000 voodoo5 6000's were made, none sold retail, only to VIP and system developers. occasionally one ends on ebay and a broken one sells for $400-600, a working one $800-1500 :eek:

Around 4000 Ultra preorders were shipped, I believe.
I think Nvidia also planned to cap their production of the Ultra at 100 or 150k. Can't remember which. *Shrug*

You're right. I remembered about 5000 but I just checked and found out it's about 4000 like you said. This is from the Inquirer and it was also on the front page (still is actually) here at overclockers.com:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=7796

Well, the way I see it, it looks like they are not going to hit that 100 or 150k mark anytime soon if it goes like this! :D

Actually, I don't think that there will be another shipment of Ultra cards ever, period.

Also, keep in mind that US is only receiving about 2000 cards total from that 4000 card shipment and I don't think Alienware has em all...

I did hear about 500 to 1000 voodoo5 6000's were made, none sold retail, only to VIP and system developers. occasionally one ends on ebay and a broken one sells for $400-600, a working one $800-1500

*whistle* Man, that's insane. I am sure that's true though as I heard the same things myself and saw a Voodoo 5 6000 on E-bay for even more than $1500. The same thing might end up happening to FX Ultra cards too though so that's a good analogy there. I was actually thinking this myself. You took the words out of my post (I mean out of my mouth-but not really, you understand...) :D :D

I also wonder how much these rare cards will be worth in the future? Say, 20 years from now, would these cards become even more valuable? I mean if the worth of these products keep increasing as time goes by for collectors like antique furniture, then it might be an investment to buy a Voodoo 5 6000 right now. Imagine investing in antique hardware as opposed to paintings and furniture. :rolleyes:

InThrees said:
I hate to say this HERE, in THIS thread, but if bad video cards and things like bad drivers and bad support (the last 2 nvidia can't ever be accused of) were things that would cause a company to go under, ATI would be a bad taste in all our mouths right now, and nothing more.

ATI is still around, and from all appearances, they are stronger for it, and learned some things.

nVidia evidently needed a good uppercut to the jaw, because that's what they got - but it's NOT fatal in any respect.

Theres a difference there. ATi does a LOT more then just video cards...infact, they do a lot more then just computers. They design and make parts for TVs, monitors, and other stuff as well

This is thread is pure jokes. If you all think Nvidia is going down, then I suggest you go sell your PC, buy many ATI shares, and wait untill you got some maaad dough.

ATI made crappy videocards for a loooooooong time, yet they are still around. Why? Because not everyone cares about 3DMark scores. Believe it or not, there are people out there, that use their PCs for things other than fragging smacktards.

Also, the FX IS a bad card*, and people WILL buy it. Why? Average person is a dimwit when it comes to PC hardware. How do I know that? I know people who bought ATI RageFury MAXX for $400, and were making fun of my GF2 Ultra.

If the FX was about $50 cheaper than 9700Pro then it would be a decent card. Full DX9 Support, slightly faster than 4600's etc... But since Nvidia is charging soo much for this card, it is obviously a very bad value for money.

I was just scanning through pricewatch and to me the video card market seems to be turned on its head pricewise. The Matrox is the most expensive followed by the Radeon then in last pace is the Nvidia. I was under the impression that the Matrox card performs the worst of the three, am I wrong?

Nope, you've pretty much got it right. But people don't buy matrox for it's gaming performance (or shouldn't). They buy it for other things, like image quality and tri-head support.

know people who bought ATI RageFury MAXX for $400, and were making fun of my GF2 Ultra.

Please tell me that's a joke or a highly exaggerated figure! That POS ATI card isn't worth $40 IMO. :eek: :eek: Not only that, a GF2 Ultra *ownz* that card.

I was under the impression that the Matrox card performs the worst of the three, am I wrong?

You are absolutely right. The only reason Matrox is surviving is because they don't normally make cards for gamers. Parhelia is actually a good card and I'm sure people are buying it to put it in their workstations at work but it's just not very good for gaming. It is also one of the few cards that supports 3 monitors. Believe it or not, Matrox has been growing at a steady rate for years. They are actually HUGE right now. I had seen some sales figures some months ago that had blown me away. Matrox still rules the 2D market. It's sad that they just don't make cards specifically optimized for gaming. :(

Back