• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WoW vs. WAR... .....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaPoets

Posted on www.exceedgamers.com and edited for OCforums.:
--------------------------

See in WAR your guild can be known well by the other side due to you stomping their faces in with your standards and your names on the keeps that rightfully belong to your guild. In WoW… well you go off in a corner (instance) and play with yourselves for 5 hours and nobody anywhere in existence knows what you may or may not have done unless you get out of game and brag about it in forums and others have to go to those forums, read about it, and post Mom jokes about you… LAME.

I’m sorry but what’s the point of the PVE in WoW??? What’s the point of the PvP in WoW? nothing but gear gratification, and that’s self gratification AND it causes guild mates to fight over little pieces of purple armor or their Daddy guild master has to hand them out to those that spend 50 hours a week with the guild 1st and then it trickles down from there… LAME again… It was fun for a while, but when people start to get upset at someone for rolling on an item that a couple classes can use, I say F* the game as it’s not worth the drama. WAR prevents loot whoring and thus makes it a better team (family) experience for all. The PQ's allow people to put in the time to get the weapons and gear they want and this is as close to a grind that WAR comes.

WoW and the word GRIND can be used interchangably as you see fit. In fact this WAR grind actually tends to have a cool story line to it and some nifty events, like using cannons to sink a ship parked off shore, or burning down houses (my personal favorite past time), or defending yourself from wave after wave of people that are ****ed off at you and the guy next to you wearing the shirt "I'm w/ stupid". Granted most of them are, kill 50 people in this area, ok now kill 10 more bad *** people, ok now try this guy on for size, BUT the fun in that is to be better than the guy next to you so you get higher up in the charts AND giving you better chances of landing a purple,gold,blue bag w/ a score of 500 and then add in a roll which is actually a lot of fun to see what everyone gets. I mean come on! Who hasn't played the /random 100 game and there wasn't even any loot to even roll for?? lol I have plenty times! So lets say in 1 PQ, you only get a Green bag, some random Green or Blue gear from mob kills, the rewards for getting a full bar of PQ inf, and all the cash from the masive amounts of kills (not that gold means much thank god) you find yourself w/ a bag full of lewt, some you can use, some you wanted badly, and you have gotten to know some of the people you grouped w/ a bit better and perhaps your friends list has grown.

And that's just 1 PQ of MANY!! Not even to mention the Open RvR, Scenarios (got some set pieces of my gear and dumb amounts of renown and xp for Scenarios), Keep seiges which just will never get old. I live for pouring hot boiling oil on people!

Now for the PVE, granted we have been so caught up in killing people, that yeah this game has some pretty good PVE like Gunbad (spelling?) and we had a great time in there just doing the 1st part. As the guild levels, we will get scrolls that will teleport us to different instances so that we don't have to run all the way there. Insta port to instance, instaport to Viper pit, instal recall (hearth hehe) to where ever you are bound.. I mean life is good!! (err or will be when our Guild rank gets there) Who the F*ck loves the 15 minute flight, drive, and boatride to get to Molten Core?? Reminds me of the EQ days, running for 20 minutes just to play the game when ever the hell I got there...

Well Customization is next. WoW does a good job at allowing you to select what talent points you want, but past that, everyone looks the same. A cow, is well... A big *** cow. You want your pvp gear, oh well great, nice stats, too bad I can't tell you from anyone else... People know when my Magus is coming because I'm dressed in all White robes w/ a Purple offset color, and they remember me and my stats because people now start to try to kill me 1st as a group and the healers 2nd due to my huge AOE damage dots... I wish there were official WAR forums because I'm sure those on order side think I'm hacking w/ my rediculous damage output getting 1st most times by a long shot. And my name is just "Poet" so it's memorable. In WAR, you can hotswap abilities. Say a set for PVP, one for PVE, one for sitting and spinning, what ever. (Tactics and Moral swaping for those not able to keep up) WoW has nothing like this. You look like everyone, and your abilities are just like everyone elses. let's see w/ 10 tactics and 2 slots that's a lot of veriations of abilities, not even including the renown slots and the tome slots... So let's say over 100 different combinations to just keep things simple but it's actually a lot more than 100 if you do the math. Plus the endless combinations of colors for individual gear or your whole set just from the vendor... Don't like those colors, cool, go learn how to make your own and have fun or even sell them at the AH!

To back track, yeah Scenarios I guess could be considered BG "like"... but WoW's PvP was always pointless which I think is why I always didn't see the point to PvP teams in the guild... there was no point to pvp unless you wanted the gear and to be honest, I played to be w/ the guild, not because I wanted the shiny hat from winning 50 matches in a week. And say you won those 50 matches and got your shinny hat... So what, you did nothing for the guild, nothing for the horde, nothing for your city, just pointless. Plus standing around waiting for the queue to pop was the death of me. Getting ported back to the BG guy when I was doing something somewhere else made me not even want to queue to begin with. And having to go to the guy to queue up was like a 15 minute journey sometimes in it's self.

Thing in war that are annoying. Torn Anus (Tor Anroc) pops 148% of the time in Tier 3... a fix needs to be made. Yes I love that one but I love chocolate too and can only eat so much of it before Tiffany (girlfriend) yells at me and I hit my cower button to reduce agg by 50%... Knockback is a hell of a lot of fun!!! well depending on which end of the knockback you are on LMAO. Most people hate knockback until you get it too... now all we here is, "bye bye, into the lava you go" hahaha! It just happened that Order gets their knockback a few lvls sooner than destro.

I would like to be forced to read the random quest or 2 at times... it's my own fault for not reading them, but when I do, they are actually very well writen with a cool story line and reason for why you are beating down someone's father while the wife watches helplessly but then turns into some demon ***** and slaps you around like a ragdoll... sry, last quest I was on I think....

I think quest wise, WAR wins hands down. I have yet to get any quest that said, kill These animals, some of them may or may not drop random item, if you get said item, keep it because I need 30 of them. THAT IS LIKE 100 KILLS!!! wtf... g r i n d = W o W
WAR quest = see those houses over there? go burn them down for me. Thanks!

yeah today's (10-30-08) CNN poll said 93% of voters know who they are voting for and 7% are the retards that still don't know. It must be those 7% people that like that WoW quest line.

Our guild is doing better than your guild... well in WoW you can't prove that at all. Oh your guild did MC all by themselves? Great! you should be able to with 200 members... Your guild cleared Kara? Great! you have 80 active members... We had 12 active members and still mastered Kara. So which guild is better? In WAR, well, what rank is your guild? How much Renown does your guild have? numbers/stats don't lie and smaller guilds can easily be ranked higher than larger guilds. Right now on Ulthuan server there is a guild w/ 38 menbers that is ranked higher than a guild with 148 members. That is how it should be! /golf clap to Mythic

And to end this piece of rant, Tome of Knowledge. WoW fails, WAR wins. The Tome is brilliant. There is so much to say about the ToK that I'll save that for another day. My 70 druid has so much story to tell... and no pen and paper to write it down on...

/end rant

DaPoets aka Poet the Magus

Both are great games.

You can see WoW is already stealing ideas from Warhammer and pretty much everyone will most likely copy WoW as far as PvE goes.

+1 to both for advancing MMO's nicely

The next generation of MMO's will all have things from WoW and WAR.

My problem with war was always how clunky combat was. When you fight it feels like your are not actually doing anything most of the time. My sorceress would channel a spell and it would go on forever and then theres this built in delay between spells and the large global cooldown.

It just feels slow and clunky. From the videos ive seen of even large scale pvp its like that too. Very slow without a lot going on. I watch a sorceress pvp and she just chain nukes in the back until shes out of mana or someone kills her.

In WoW a mage would be hitting all sorts of different things to keep distance or help his team out.

I know WoW has its problems, but War to me is the same game wrapped in a different package and playing in slo-mo. The only worthwhile thing War actually brought to the table is PQ's.

They are both fine in their own right, I just can't understand why I hear people disparaging WoW's faults and then holding warhammer to be a game WoW should strive for when they are so similar and share so many of the same features.

I'm not sure what slowness you are speaking of... lag maybe?? My DoK was very fast with all the attacks and heals and my Magus is just as on point with everything he does.

I'm not sure what slowness you are speaking of... lag maybe?? My DoK was very fast with all the attacks and heals and my Magus is just as on point with everything he does.

It's hard to explain. War feels clunky while WoW feels precise and smooth. It's probably because I'm so used to seeing WoW graphics, the way WAR's graphics are feel very jagged and that seems to interfere with the gameplay a bit.

But thats just me.

TLDR honestly but my take is I like WAR a lot better for pvp. The PVE in war lacks but I can get to 40 without doing single pve quest so I am happy. My main WP I do pve and pvp to level faster but with my alts I do only pvp and it goes by pretty much as quick, you just dont get the phat quest loot.

All my coworkers play WoW and I tell them how badass the pvp is. There are tons of scenarios, 3 in tier 1, 3 in tier 2, 6 in tier 3 and I think another 6 in tier 4 ( each tier divided by level ). And each tier has its own world pvp where you can take over keeps. Keeps have multiple gates in higher tiers and can be large battles with a ton of people on each side shooting out spells. You can have catapaults, ballistas, battering rams, dump hot oil on people trying to bash the door down, its awesome. The pvp is waaaay more fun than WoW. There is no arena which was the worst aspect of WoW pvp, so artificial. The scenarios in WAR beat the battlegrounds in WoW just by the shear number but also the design. The world pvp is no contest, WoW always had horrible world pvp and always will. Took them 5 years to add in siefe warfare.

It's hard to explain. War feels clunky while WoW feels precise and smooth. It's probably because I'm so used to seeing WoW graphics, the way WAR's graphics are feel very jagged and that seems to interfere with the gameplay a bit.

But thats just me.

The clunkiness you're talking about are the animations and hotkeys. They're not synchronized or something, there was a huge thread on War forums.

Posted on www.exceedgamers.com and edited for OCforums.:
--------------------------

See in WAR your guild can be known well by the other side due to you stomping their faces in with your standards and your names on the keeps that rightfully belong to your guild. In WoW… well you go off in a corner (instance) and play with yourselves for 5 hours and nobody anywhere in existence knows what you may or may not have done unless you get out of game and brag about it in forums and others have to go to those forums, read about it, and post Mom jokes about you… LAME.

So games are about how well known you can get? Not how much fun you have even if you are not known. Am I reading this right?

Depends on the person. I know that in whatever game I play, I'm very competitive. I agree with Dapoets in what was quoted. I really like the whole guild keep idea instead of just having a rating or some purple gear.

Some people play for fun while some play to be the best. Depends on what you like.

Although I do agree with Shiggity about the clunkiness and slowness of the combat. It feels nowhere as polished as WoW's combat. (and no, it isin't lag) I played WAR non stop until a few days ago. I feel I was starting to get burnt out and needed a change so I went back to WoW. There are things I love and hate about both games and for me, I think a combination of the two is better than choosing one. WAR's pvp is a welcome change from the rather repetitive pvp in WoW.

Personally I feel the oposite of you Poet :) although I found WAR to be a good game it just lacked the sparkle to be a great game: (Please note the following points are my own opinion and as such might well differ from everyone elses)

1. Dungeons etc in WAR I found bland, boring and pointless, (not done rank 40 ones though)

2. PQs, great idea, badly implemented very quickly became a grind fest

3. PvP no revolutions in general combat, I felt it was just a simple version of wow pvp with things like collision detection on

4. Scenarios, sure more of them, but only 1 each tier worth playing, making in reality less choice

5. World pvp miles ahead of wow

6. general quests better than wow, but only because instead of having to kill 20 mobs you only had to kill 5, same basic concept underneath

7. Tome = great, but wow stole/created (not gonna argue about this) achievements which are also fun, slightly less advanced version of the tome

8. Guilds, WAR has the edge here but it only adds a small element to the game. Id rather for example have mythic spend the time they spending designing thre guild system on improving PvE

9. WAR is unfluid as said above, things seem out of sync

10. PvP is only about teamwork not individual skill at all, 3 idiots playing as a team will beat 3 very skilled people who aren't i.e. everyone focus dps etc.

11. I found there was less control of your enemies, ie in wow there are muiltitude of stuns/CCs etc while war just had movement imparing abilities and knowckbacks

12. WAR seems to have less content (due to it being new)

13. WAR looses the open world feel WoW has

14. WAR lacks arena combat

15. WAR, everyone looks the same!!! I hate WARs item graphics - dyes and trophies don't make enough difference.

16. WAR doesn't evolve much as you level, great fun at lvl 1-10 but when its exactly the same 20-30 and the environment hasnt changed much etc it starts to become tedious!

17. WAR implementeded too many different careers, and as such didn't make each of them special enough

18. WAR worries more about balance than fun

19. WAR went for more 'realistic' graphics but by doing so its improved graphics over WoW actually made it look worse to me

20. Nothing in WAR makes me want to logg on in the evening, while WoW there is always something different and fun to do!

I guess ill stop there, I could continue but I just see no point.

WAR is a good game, and after patches it might become a great game, it just isn't there for me yet. WoW got me back!

Hmm last night we took 3 keeps and 6 battlefield objectives. Had a blast, killed a lot of people, locked the zones for Destro, had some great loot drops, the Tier 3 keeps look awsome... I guess I'm not sure how WoW can compare to that...

Your point about WAR not having arena, I'm happy it doesn't... WoW's area is terrible and pointless.

I guess if you want to hide in a PVE instance for 4 hours, then WoW is the route to go. If you want a nice quick instance and lots of Open RvR, Scenarios, and fun quests, then WAR is for you.

I started to focus a bit more to understand what this combat lag thing is that people mention and I honestly have no issues with it. you press a button, the annimation starts, you kill someone. Some annimations are longer than others so there is some overlap but you just have to time it right I guess... It's simple and I never thought much about it. I think it's the same in WoW. You have an annimation, you are then waiting to cast your next attack... WoW's attacks are just quick and simple while WAR's are a bit more elaborate.

dapoets, I definatly agree WAR is a good game, and I can certainly see why many people would prefer it, its just I don't :)

I am not a huge arena fan but i do enjoy the option being there.

you try and make instances in WoW sound like soloing stuff, but teaming up with guildies to take on raid bosses is just as challenging as taking on a keep or something. I like the fact I have the choice of both pvp AND pve in wow, while war just gives you pvp (discounting WAR's pve since its a joke)

the combat lag is hard to describe but I know exactly what is meant and quite a few people notice it, I think it might be a bad animations link with sounds and links betwen multiple animations and global cool down, just generally makes chaining abilities together feel disjointed.

anyways there doesn't need to be a winner between the 2, competition for wow is a very very good thing. and if you enjoy war then that is all that matters :) just as atm I am enjoying wow again :)

EDIT:last I heard WAR was at 800,000subscribers which is very very good and WoW hit 11 million which shows that neither game is failing (WoW's is obviosly higher since it has been out longer and is more 'well known' at the moment this wasn't meant as a wow is better than war comment as sub figures will never show this)

You havn't done Mount Gunbad in WAR have you. That is a fun instance that is much better than many of WoW's instances. It's very dynamic.

As a guy who prefers PVE, I prefer wow. WAR just seems a little unpolished in some areas at the moment PVE is one of those areas. My housemates and I all tried WAR out as we were really excited for it, but we found WoW catered to our interests better.

I happen to like WoW instances. I also happen to like getting new gear for my character and making him look awesome.

As a guy who prefers PVE, I prefer wow. WAR just seems a little unpolished in some areas at the moment PVE is one of those areas. My housemates and I all tried WAR out as we were really excited for it, but we found WoW catered to our interests better.

I happen to like WoW instances. I also happen to like getting new gear for my character and making him look awesome.

I agree. WoW is better for PvE, but to be honest, I think EQ2 beats them both for PvE.

WAR is the best PvP MMO out there right now. There is still room for some improvements, but the Scenarios are fun and taking over keeps is a blast. I do wish that there was a bit more balance.

Personally I feel the oposite of you Poet :) although I found WAR to be a good game it just lacked the sparkle to be a great game: (Please note the following points are my own opinion and as such might well differ from everyone elses)

These are my opinions as well, in blue of course.

1. Dungeons etc in WAR I found bland, boring and pointless, (not done rank 40 ones though): I agree, but I did like Gunbad although the XP wasn't that great in there.
2. PQs, great idea, badly implemented very quickly became a grind fest. Agreed although if you have a good group, it can be a good leveling source while you wait for scenarios.

3. PvP no revolutions in general combat, I felt it was just a simple version of wow pvp with things like collision detection on. I don't know what revolutions you expected. I do like that some classes get a few insta cast spells so you can run and still heal/do a bit of damage. The collision detection has me a bit frustrated. I run back and get stuck on my own team sometimes which can lead to death. lol. PvP is a lot more fun though, IMO. Taking over keeps and having large battles is fun to me.

4. Scenarios, sure more of them, but only 1 each tier worth playing, making in reality less choice. I disagree. I think that's subjective. Personally, I like 2 in tier 1, 2 in tier 2. 3-4 in tier 3. I haven't done any tier 4 yet.

5. World pvp miles ahead of wow. Agreed

6. general quests better than wow, but only because instead of having to kill 20 mobs you only had to kill 5, same basic concept underneath. Agreed. I also like it that you don't need an addon like Questhelper to show you where your quests are.
7. Tome = great, but wow stole/created (not gonna argue about this) achievements which are also fun, slightly less advanced version of the tome. if you want to go back that far, EQ had achievements which enhanced your toon. A bit different, but same concept. DaoC had 3 lines that you can go down as well, which were similar. The Tome is a wonderful tool

8. Guilds, WAR has the edge here but it only adds a small element to the game. Id rather for example have mythic spend the time they spending designing thre guild system on improving PvE. The game just came out, be patient. Not everything is going to be fully implemented.

9. WAR is unfluid as said above, things seem out of sync. I don't really have a problem with that.

10. PvP is only about teamwork not individual skill at all, 3 idiots playing as a team will beat 3 very skilled people who aren't i.e. everyone focus dps etc. I totally disagree. #1 if 3 skilled players are playing, more than likely they will know how to assist, so that blows a hole in your argument. A skilled 6 man group can wipe out a group of 10 players that don't have much skill. Besides, isn't group PvP about teamwork? You'll have your 1-1 battles and it's more of the rock/paper/scissors type. Now, a skilled paper, can beat an unskilled scissors.

11. I found there was less control of your enemies, ie in wow there are muiltitude of stuns/CCs etc while war just had movement imparing abilities and knowckbacks. What fun is stunlocking? You spoke about skill in PvP. It takes 0 skill to stun over and over again. They've given casters some insta cast spells to help compensate a bit. Those knockbacks are huge though. You fly back like 30 -40 feet.

12. WAR seems to have less content (due to it being new) yep. I hope they improve on this.

13. WAR looses the open world feel WoW has.

14. WAR lacks arena combat. Thank GOD for that. Why do you need arena combat? Go take a keep instead. Which is more fun?

15. WAR, everyone looks the same!!! I hate WARs item graphics - dyes and trophies don't make enough difference. I agree. I wish there was a bit more customization. WoW has issues that that as well, only to a lesser extent. Remember though, WoW has been out a lot longer.

16. WAR doesn't evolve much as you level, great fun at lvl 1-10 but when its exactly the same 20-30 and the environment hasnt changed much etc it starts to become tedious! Every MMO becomes tedious as you level, that is why they call it a grind. One thing that I do like is that you do gain XP while PvPing. It gives you an alternate way to level. What more would a PvP enthusiast want?

17. WAR implementeded too many different careers, and as such didn't make each of them special enough. I somewhat agree. Sorceress and Bright Wizards are mirror images, it would have been nice if there were more differences. There are 10 on each side and they are introducing one more on each side. We'll see how things go.

18. WAR worries more about balance than fun. What? I'm not quite sure what you mean. WAR IS fun. You also need balance. What fun would it be if certain classes or sides were overpowered? I know some of your younger crowd prefer those advantages, but to me it is more fun winning against an equal opponent.

19. WAR went for more 'realistic' graphics but by doing so its improved graphics over WoW actually made it look worse to me. I disagree. WoW's graphics are terrible. I wish they were more AOCish, but gameplay>graphics
AOC proved that. Besides, the graphics are not that bad and certainly not as bad a WoW's.

20. Nothing in WAR makes me want to logg on in the evening, while WoW there is always something different and fun to do! I totally disagree. It was the opposite for me. I would log on wow and log off in like 10 mins. Here, I log on and have to pry myself sometimes away from the keyboard at 2 am.

I guess ill stop there, I could continue but I just see no point.

WAR is a good game, and after patches it might become a great game, it just isn't there for me yet. WoW got me back!
Cool, glad you are having fun playing wow. That's what it is all about isn't it.

I think WAR has a lot of potential to be a great game. It all depends on how Mythic wants to go with it. Shadowbane had a lot of potential(If you can get past the mouse clicking) and it failed.

Vanguard had a lot of potential and it bombed.

Not a lot of optimism for games that have potential, but I will wait and see and hope that this game will keep me entertained until the new Star Wars MMO comes out in a few years.

I agree. WoW is better for PvE, but to be honest, I think EQ2 beats them both for PvE.

WAR is the best PvP MMO out there right now. There is still room for some improvements, but the Scenarios are fun and taking over keeps is a blast. I do wish that there was a bit more balance.

Really? I thought EQ2 was just terrible through and through, unless a lot of improvements have been made somewhat recently.

Really? I thought EQ2 was just terrible through and through, unless a lot of improvements have been made somewhat recently.

When was the last time you went back? You are right. It was terrible. I played it when it came out and left after a month. About 6-9 months later, I went back and they redid the class advancement, tradeskilling and some combat.

It's actually a very nice PvE game. I played on the PvP server and that is still unbalanced, but it's a wonderful PvE game.

When was the last time you went back? You are right. It was terrible. I played it when it came out and left after a month. About 6-9 months later, I went back and they redid the class advancement, tradeskilling and some combat.

It's actually a very nice PvE game. I played on the PvP server and that is still unbalanced, but it's a wonderful PvE game.

Same, I quit a short time after it came out and went back to WoW and never went back. I also didn't really know anyone that was playing it either (the entire world and their mom is on WoW =D)

woops, went a bit off topic

Back