• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WRT54G hacked firmware

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I like the one from thermoman myself. It's a Sveasoft firmware.

The reason I like that one instead of dd-wrt is when I tried dd-wrt, I had to reboot my router at least once a day. That's probably been fixed by now, but I can't be bothered to go back and redo it.

What to do now? Well, you can do things like lower your antenna strength to prevent people from hopping on to your network, set up VPN access (my favorite), and some other stuff. All depends on what you wanna do I guess.

seems like you would want to up the mW , right? so that you will have good connection everywhere on your property.

what is VPN access exactly? and can you list the other cool stuff?

i tried dd-wrt and it was pretty cool. i tried another one talisman, free version, and the GUI was hideous and it was buggy..

dd-wrt is the better of the two so far but im running official linksys firmware at the moment (it features wpa 2 shared-key mixed mode ;) )

my big favorite is setting up the QoS, makes it great for trying to download those large patches/demo's and still get decent ping gaming or decent surf speeds.

And QoS is basically what the router that cost's 3x the price of the WRT has, if you've read about the gaming router...well its basically a router with QoS, the only real advantage is that you need less config on the gaming router, but it's so easy it's not worth the extra 100$

darkknight187 said:
my big favorite is setting up the QoS, makes it great for trying to download those large patches/demo's and still get decent ping gaming or decent surf speeds.

And QoS is basically what the router that cost's 3x the price of the WRT has, if you've read about the gaming router...well its basically a router with QoS, the only real advantage is that you need less config on the gaming router, but it's so easy it's not worth the extra 100$
Interesting but what does QoS stand for and whatnot if one wishes to enable it on their router.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/Q/QoS.html

Basically a regular router goes ok you wanna DL something huge and play a game, well they share resources, so by DLing you slow down your game performance. QoS basically prioritises your stuff so your DL doesn't effect your game speed.

You would need a hacked firmware to enable this on your router.

Back