• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED X370 / B350 Trim support w/ Raid 0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChinStrap

I have been playing around with the idea of replacing my 6600k with a Ryzen 1600 or 1700. I have been getting my feet wet when it comes to editing video and realize I need more CPU power.

Boot disk is 500g 960 Evo and I have been using a couple of older 840 evo drives in Raid 0 as a scratch disk. This works great and is 'fast enough'.

Intel's Z270 passes Trim to my Raid 0 and I use this function often with the large files being moved on and off, whenever I use it.

I can NOT find any info anywhere as to if the higher x370/b350 AM4 chipsets will pass trim for raid 0.

i'm hoping someone here can help me out or point my in the right direction.

thanks -

Last edited:
I always thought TRIM was more of an OS thing than platform specific

Intel didn't enable this function until Z77. So I think it's a bit of both, platform & OS.

Like I said, I can not find information on this anywhere, so I thought I would ask.

OS does issue the command, I should have been more specific.

I'm wondering if the x370 / b350 chipset will forward the command to the drives.

I know Z77 (on intel) was the first chipset that would forward the command under Raid 0: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6161/...ssd-arrays-on-7series-motherboards-we-test-it

I'm wondering if this is an issue on AMD chipsets. Garbage collection on the older 840 evo doesn't impress me.

Okay well it's not on a raid but over the weekend I used the corsair SW to manually run trim on my SSD so the function is there on the board/chipset whether it extends to raid??? I would assume it does. This was a CHVI with X370 chipset

ChinStrap has it right with the whole TRIM nightmare and RAID 0. The OS can send all the TRIM commands it wants, it's up to the RAID implementation as to what happens when it receives the command.

Hopefully AMD has it sorted - it's likely since Intel liked (actually, IS again with x299) to jack around with RAID features in the name of market segmentation.

The classic example was using Fernando's modded IDE drivers + modded option roms (actually just the later officials bolted into the flash) on older ICH9R and ICH10 boards to enable TRIM to be passed on RAID 0 in the later Core 2 and X58 systems. The old chipsets totally could support it, but Intel just kinda went "meh" time for you to upgrade.

Sorry for the ramble, just wanted to 2nd that passing TRIM to RAID 0 used to be "a thing" to be really sure about, cause Intel at least used to play market segmentation games with it. AMD I think would try hard to support it, since they are fans of exploiting Intel's arbitrary segmentation =D

I'll be playing around with it in the coming weeks. Friday of last week I had the R7 1700 on sale @ Newegg for $269, I couldn't pass that up. I also found the Asrock Fatality X370 Gaming-ITX/AC in stock, picked one of those also. I spent the better part of this evening rounding up the most up-to-date drivers I could find from Asrock & AMD. Like I said, I hope to have a little time at the end of this week or next to play around with stuff.

on a side note, how can you beat a R7 1700 for $269. I'm excited for play around with this setup!

Back