• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X58 or P67 Build / Suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lekkerkat

Hi OC Members.

My name is alex, I am planning to build a new PC system, been working with Mac's and stuff for the last 4 years (work related).

Now it is time to get back to the hardware and building freedom PC's have for us all. Unfortunately, as of now, newer technical terminology and technology specs are out my knowledge scope.

Would love to receive help and advice on how to get a nice build.

My question is, what are the differences between X58 or P67 Builds?

Which one would be a better buy out of these settings and why:

1) - Intel Core i7-2600K Processor 3.4GHz LGA1155
- ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 LGA 1155
- Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H50
- Corsair Dominator 12 GB 1600 MHz PC3-12800

2) - Intel Core i7-960 Processor 3.20 GHz LGA1366
- ASUS SABERTOOTH Intel X58/Quad LGA1366
- Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H50
- Corsair Dominator 12 GB 1600 MHz PC3-12800

I am going to work with Graphics on Adobe Suite, Casual Video Editing, A few new games. And general computing.

Thanks in advance for the time and your help.

- alex

Forgot to say, I already have
Single GPU
ATX Case w/ Fans
PSU 550w
DVD-R

Thanks.

Which PSU?

And unless you can get a really good deal on the LGA1366 tech, go with the 1555 board and the Sandybridge chip, as you'll have more room to upgrade later and it'll be faster.

Also, if you don't require hyperthreading, consider a 2500K instead, and an H70 instead of the H50 cooler.

Yeah, go for the socket 1155 stuff. It's much faster (especially when overclocked!) and runs cooler.

Dominator is expensive RAM, if you're not benching IMO, G.SKILL Ripjwas or Corsair Vengeance is fine.

Corsair H series is also more expensive for what it's worth, if your OCing, go with a high-end heatsink (Thermatake Archon, Noctua NH-D14, Thermaltake Silver Arrow) and a different motherboard, Gigabyte Z68-UD4/5 or ASUS P8Z68 series are pretty good.

You want the Z68 chipset for video editing, not the P67.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, I will have to consider some aspects so I will be able to write a list of the things I'll be buying soon.

I do not know If I will be doing some OC'n on this rig, first of all I will learn more about it. All the OC I have done is a Pentium D @3.5 with an Arctic Freezer 7 cooler. Hehe but I will see.

My psu is a OCZ Fatal1ty 550w, do you think it will be powerful enough to supply this setting?

Thanks for the RAM advice. The Corsair Vengeance is a good pick.

-alex

Sandy Bridge overclocks like mad. 5GHz if you're lucky with high-end air.

It's a meh PSU, but it depends what your video card is.

My GPU is a GeForce 9800 gtx+, been tested with Adobe CS5 Suite on a Win 7 64bits system, I am happy with the CUDA capabilities so far. Of course It will be upgraded in the future.

My concern is the base system to run smoothly. MoBo / CPU / RAM.

:)

My GPU is a GeForce 9800 gtx+, been tested with Adobe CS5 Suite on a Win 7 64bits system, I am happy with the CUDA capabilities so far. Of course It will be upgraded in the future.

My concern is the base system to run smoothly. MoBo / CPU / RAM.

:)

The 9800GTX uses less than 100W of power so your PSU will be fine.

Back