• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X58A-UD5 Detecting DRAM Settings, tried everything

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

totalmajor

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I'm having trouble figuring out what's going on with my new build.

Ive gone over Gigabyte guides, other websites, googled and googled. I've reseated the CPU several times. The only thing I haven't done is messed with the BIOS because I'm scared I'd mess something up.

Anyway, I'm using OCZ 6x2 PCR 12800 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227365)
and a Gigabyte X58A-UD5.

I've paired up the memory sticks with the batches they were delivered in, tried 3x2 with both as well as 6x2 flipped around, etc.

I've messed around with the pins, reseated CPU, still no luck. I took a couple of photos. I actually just noticed another PIN problem but the thing is I don't know which way I should be moving the pin (up, down, left, right, etc).

I've uploaded some high quality pics of the pins and if anyone could help me with this, that'd be great. I'm desperate running out of options!

Also, if there are any settings I can play with inside the BIOS that could help me out. I used @BioS to update to F7J.

http://cheesin.org/cpu/cpu4.png
http://cheesin.org/cpu/cpu3.png
http://cheesin.org/cpu/cpu2.png
http://cheesin.org/cpu/cpu1.png

The photos are HUGE by the way, 1600x1600 or so, zoomed in so I hope this will work!

Thanks!

What seems to be the issue? Your board isn't detecting your RAM speed/timings correctly?

After the verify DMI success text comes up,

Detecting DRAM settings pops up underneath it and after a few seconds the computer restarts. Sometimes it'll do this once, other times it'll happen 2-3 times before I can load up windows.

I have 6x2 12GB of ram but only 8GB appear.

Thanks

Have you taken a look at your RAM settings in BIOS yet? Make sure your voltage, timings, and frequency are set correctly first before you go bending pins in your socket. These settings
are under the Cell Menu in BIOS. I've never used your board before so I'm guessing what that part of BIOS is called on yours.

It looks like Advanced Memory settings and Advanced Voltage Control (I'm looking at the manual for your board's BIOS settings now).

When I ran CPU Z I noticed that the ram modules were set at 1.5 volts. The sticks themselves say 1.65. Is that a problem?

DRAM Voltage set to the voltage specified for your RAM 1.65
I think you need Channel A, B, and C Timing Settings for your RAM
Set the top four CAS, tRCD, tRP, tRAS to the four numbers listed on your RAM
What ever your timings are, like this 7-8-7-24

Yours would be 8-8-8-24

You probably should enable XMP (extreme memory profile) also. It's on the top of the page for Advanced Memory Settings.

Gah, I had the impulse to take it all apart and try and send it back to the ebayer. I looked over the pin pictures and I just didn't want to take any more risks of messing stuff up.

Thanks for your help though, I have another UD7 I need to test-drive and I'll probably be coming back to this thread if all else fails.

Thanks again

So I gave the ebayer the benefit of the doubt and went back to trying to get this board working... I don't have an XMP setting under advanced memory settings.

I did change the settings you told me about but still no luck!

Try higher QPI/VTT voltage up to 1.35V ( maybe lower, you can try that later when you make it work ), memory voltage to 1.65V and/or IOH voltage to 1.15V. Also set main memory timings to 8-8-8-24 and memory clock manually to 1600.
When you are trying 3 memory sticks then always use slots 2/4/6 counting from cpu side.
These are probably the only settings that you need to make it run.

First of all I want to thank everyone who helps to people who are facing problems.

My PC configuration:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz
M/B: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5 rev.2.0 BIOS FF3
DRAM: Kingston KVR1333D3N9K3/6G 6GB PC3-10600 CL9 240-pin DIMM Kit (3x2GB) - 2 kits
Graphics: GIGABYTE GV-R577SO-1GD ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 (6.1) Ultimate Edition 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)

After spent a lot of time I was not able to solve the problem with the detecting of DRAM size. After power up the memory detected only for channel 1 and 2 - 8GB instead 12 GB. After rebooting the memory size recognized correct - 12GB, but when Windows starts up I have BSOD.

And I thought I found the problem and solved it - bended pins.
But it did not help. And finally I was able to solve the problem after the fifth attempt to correct pin position (pin №1, see picture).

I sincerely believe that DRAM detecting problems are almost always associated with poor contact between the processor and memory modules: 1. Bent pin/s on the processor socket; 2. Bad contact in the memory module slot.

First pin (see picture). This pin was turned outwards. When I turned it back, I was not able to position it as needed (see picture). So I still had a problems with memory. In the end I lifted up the pin a bit with a small tweezers taking pins base, and then pressed at the end of the pin with a small screwdriver to position pin in the desired position.
The second pin caused fewer problems.

After the performed operations the memory detected with no problems.

Bended_pins_2.JPG

Back