• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X79 boards and IB-E warning ( based on MSI example )

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
If you are planning to buy IB-E CPU and MSI motherboard then be sure that board has latest BIOS or version with IB-E support.
Most X79 boards were manufactured in the last year or at the beginning of this year. Since almost noone is buying these series then most boards are collecting dust in warehouses = have old BIOS.

MSI X79 series won't even see IB-E CPU without new BIOS and if you buy combo like that and don't have SB-E CPU then you may have some problems.
One of the ways is to contact MSI support - flashing BIOS can take up to 3 weeks , depends from country.
Other way is to find someone with SB-E or some local company which is providing computer service. Here is also little problem as it's hard to find anyone with CPU on this socket and most companies have only popular CPUs for daily tests, not s2011. Also most online stores are just repacking and sending every RMA to manufacturer or distribution = also takes 2-3 weeks.
BIOS recovery methods are not working. Simply board can't see CPU so it's acting like dead.

Probably the same is on any other X79 board with older BIOS but at least ASUS ROG series can be flashed without CPU.
I had chance to check it on MSI X79A-GD45 Plus which was made in this year and is one of the latest X79 boards available. I also saw info about MSI GD65 and some Gigabyte boards like UD3/4 UP4 acting in the same way.

I just wanted to make this thread before I see complains on the forums about compatibility or why my overpriced pc isn't working ;)
Other reason are ads from manufacturers saying that all their boards are now supporting IB-E. Yes they are , but on new BIOS and someone who bought new platform just can't update it without SB-E CPU.

Good head's up Woomack! Already updated the bios on my boards (RIVF and RIVE) so hopefully this won't be an issue when I grab an IB-E but great info for those thinking of now making a move to s2011.

Back