• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X79A-GD45 (PLUS) & Video Controller Driver?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SunnyUA

Registered
Hello fine folks!

Got a question for ye savvy people. I've got a rig with SLI GTX 780. As the new games are released (and because I play at 1440p), I sometimes need to squeeze some extra FPS in some games. I've read a suggestion somewhere that said it'd be a good idea to plug my secondary screen directly into my motherboard's DVI slot. So I'm wondering if anyone can confirm that?

And if yes (for I've tried but failed), I can't seem to get it to work this way. I plug it in, boot up, Windows says it can't find a proper driver, and I can't find any video controller driver for Win 7 x64 at the manufacturer's page.

Any suggestions? Much appreciated.

Usually, whenever a motherboard detects a dedicated video device, it turns off any on board video device it has. I'm pretty sure (but not positive) that most Intel boards are this way. I've only seen AMD systems that could run video from both the dedicated GPU and on board, and that was only when using an AMD GPU.

However, if you are only playing on one monitor, it won't make much difference if the second one is plugged in, as nothing demanding is likely going on on it.

Back