• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x99/5960x benching rig - which would be better

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MaddMutt

I have just picked up a x99/5960x Combo - Asus Rampage V Extreme. Which would be the best to bench with - a 4 x 4GB memory kit or a 4 x 8GB memory kit??? Which Speed/CL to try and find??

I'm also looking to replace the 5960x as it will only do 5.0-5.1 with LN2.

Thank You :)

The same RAM as for any other DDR4 chipset so Samsung B 4x8GB, something 3000 CL14-14-14 or 3200 14-14-14. It will run at 3200-3400 13-13-13/14-14-14, maybe tighter if you set high voltage.
Don't count on much more on this platform. What I mean is that you can replace the CPU but it will be still slower than something from new series at the same core count. It will be faster on the same frequency than 7th gen in single tests like 3DMark CPU tests.

5GHz is a bit low for LN2. Do you know for sure it won't make more ? Hard to compare but when I had 5820K then it could make 5.5-5.8GHz on ss/dice. The worst chip I had could still make 5.2GHz on ss.

5GHz is a bit low for LN2. Do you know for sure it won't make more ? Hard to compare but when I had 5820K then it could make 5.5-5.8GHz on ss/dice. The worst chip I had could still make 5.2GHz on ss.

This was confirmed by Jiccman before I bought the chip and also at the party in Philly. I got it cheaper because it didn't OC good. I'm going to put it in the motherboard from Fritzman (1st of Sept) and make a home server :)

I was keeping a lot of stuff, some with home servers or other things on my mind ... in the end, most was collecting dust and if something was already benched then I didn't want to go back and bench it again. It's like once I spend a lot of time on something then I wish something new, not the same over and over again. Recently I started to sell things I thought I will keep "just in case" ... some were laying around for 3-4 years. I had motherboards that after 2-3 years in a box were dead once I wanted to use them. Other thing is that I'm thinking about moving so I try to reduce amount of hardware to the minimum.
I still have 4x X299 mobos for sale, all in perfect condition but I guess that shipping to NA would cost too much to be worth it.

I was keeping a lot of stuff, some with home servers or other things on my mind ... in the end, most was collecting dust and if something was already benched then I didn't want to go back and bench it again. It's like once I spend a lot of time on something then I wish something new, not the same over and over again. Recently I started to sell things I thought I will keep "just in case" ... some were laying around for 3-4 years. I had motherboards that after 2-3 years in a box were dead once I wanted to use them. Other thing is that I'm thinking about moving so I try to reduce amount of hardware to the minimum.
I still have 4x X299 mobos for sale, all in perfect condition but I guess that shipping to NA would cost too much to be worth it.

^ The cost of a i9 7900x is $700.00+ not including the x299 mobo and shipping :(
I will be buying fritzman's x99 next month. I will use this 5960x but will still need memory for it :( This month I'm buying a NVMe and memory for the Rampage V.

I have opened this thread backup because I have a new problem :)

I was able to get my G.Skill Trident Z 3200 4x8GB (32GB Total) CL 14-14-14-34 (B-Die) to run @ 3000 CL 10-12-12-28 1T. This is on my Asus Rampage V Extreme with a i7-5960x with a 125-BLCK Strap. I purchased a set of G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600 4x4GB (16GB Total) CL 17-18-18-38 (E-Die). They do not want to run with a 125-BLCK Strap at any speed. I currently have them on my z170 OCF board with a 100-BLCK @ 3866 CL 16-19-19-28 1T.
I have set the memory in the BIOS to XMP and it gives me a 167-BLCK Strap. Is this good or bad???
Do I work on trying to run the memory at 167-BLCK - 3600 or at 100-BLCK 3000+ ????

Thank You For Your Time And Assistance

I don't know from where you got that idea to bench at high bclk. Anyway, set it at 100bclk and use memory multi to set higher frequency. There is no difference if you run it at 100 or higher bclk. Bclk is only to get better settings when you are missing something like 3300 vs 3350 memory clock or something like that.
Higher bclk is always harder to stabilize and usually higher bclk = lower max memory clock or higher additional voltages so can be higher CPU temp.

Still for any DDR4 platform samsung b is the best for benching and on X99 you should be able to set 3200-3400 14-14-14 or 13-13-13 (maybe tighter).

On Z170 more depends on the motherboard. On OCF/OCFM you should be able to set 4000+ at tight timings ... but again, stick to 100 bclk as it's simply easier.

you should offload some of those mem kits youve got lying around! im sure shipping memory wouldnt be to awful expensive? you could hook Madd up with a new kit to play with for starters ;)

Right now I have only 3 kits left. All others sold (last 2 sold so I could buy a new one :) ). One went to my brother's PC and there were problems with SODIMM so I'm trying to find a replacement (best if review sample but no one wants to send SODIMM for review).
I used to have more kits laying around but I had some costs to cover this year (not PC :) ). Let's say my salary here is a joke comparing to how much PC hardware costs so if I won't sell something then I won't buy anything new.
Shipping memory to US doesn't cost much. I was actually sending some kits over the pond a couple of times to benching team members.

you should offload some of those mem kits youve got lying around! im sure shipping memory wouldnt be to awful expensive? you could hook Madd up with a new kit to play with for starters ;)

I have now acquired multiple sets of DDR4. My problem is getting them to OC to the speed that Woomack has posted they will run.

Try looking for BDie IC DDR4 kits. They are the best option if you want higher/stable XMP (up to 3466 MHz for some motherboards) or high OC with decent timmings. 4x4GB kits at the beginning were EDie or DDie. They can clock OK but not as tight as BDie kits. For better RAM clocks you should jump to BW-E.

Try looking for BDie IC DDR4 kits. They are the best option if you want higher/stable XMP (up to 3466 MHz for some motherboards) or high OC with decent timmings. 4x4GB kits at the beginning were EDie or DDie. They can clock OK but not as tight as BDie kits. For better RAM clocks you should jump to BW-E.

Thank You Tremendously for your advice :) This was the information I was hoping to get/receive :thup:

You pretty much received that info multiple times and already got Samsung B kits ... stop asking questions and start benching :)

You pretty much received that info multiple times and already got Samsung B kits ... stop asking questions and start benching :)

Indeed. Best way to learn is "doing" some OC and change parameters. Reading a guide will be useful but he needs practical experience.

I found this screen shot on HWBot. The Motherboard is a z170 OCF-M (only 2 memory slots) Mine is the z170 OCF (has 4 memory slots). My ASRocks Memory Tuning APP is in the center next to the OCF-M's ASRocks Memory Tuning APP. Is this reason that I can't hit the memory speeds that Woomack says MY memory should be able to run????? The OCF-M is using Channel A while I have 1 in A and 1 in B.

ASRock Memory Overclocking.png

At least 3 reasons of why...

1.- Z170m OCF can run better clocks and timmings than Z170 ATX MB. Even both MBs with same 2x8GB BDie could do 12-11 timmings with Z170m only. Thats the magic od 2 slots vs 4. Also those 2 slots are closer to the CPU socket (traces are shorter), also BIOS is a bit better with more options.

2.- Your kit seems to be 2x54GB instead of 2x8GB, therefore that means is an EDie, DDie or even Hynix DDR4 kit (im almost certain is an EDie kit) and with that you cant tight too much the trcl, trp and tras timmings. Cant tight other secondary, terciary and RTL IOLs for example just as good as the Z170m

3.- CPU: Z170m OCF is modded and running with a CoffeeLake CPU (8086K). Dont know if your z170 OCF is modded. Sky/KabyLake have lower IMC capabilities than Coffee (not always). Good IMC 7700Ks can do 4000 12 11 or better RAM blocks but are harder to fin than coffee ones.

4.- For 4000MHz+ 12-11 you need close to 1.9 - 1.95v for DRAM and 1.35v for VCCIO and VCCSA (and some other volts as special sauce most of the time). Also stability is achieved by reducing usable DRAM capacity (liek MaxMem).

Regards

Another thing is that big part of B-die IC won't even boot at 4000 CL12 and not every motherboard will boot too.
Re motherboards, I had OCFM and OCF. Both could make 4133 CL12. My only problem was that out of maybe 10 kits that I had that time, only 1 could run at 4000+ CL12. Most my results were at 3733 C12 because of that. In general, it's not much worse and it's good spot to start. Settings are about the same. Once you make it work at 3600-3733 then set higher memory ratio and check if it works.

To run at high clocks and tight timings (like 4000+ C12), on many setups is required to limit memory capacity to 2-3GB or use 32b version of OS. It's because there are problems to address higher memory capacity without errors. There are more factors which are affecting that so your memory can make more but if you give it good environment to work. It was mentioned but wanted to expand this thought a bit.

MaddMutt, as I remember, you have some of the better B-die so just stick to them while benching. Don't compare Samsung D/E to B. B are only in 8GB or 16GB modules on mass market.

Right now I have only kits with new IC and they have problems with 3600+ CL12 or CR1 above 3733+. On the other hand, easier run at higher frequency and what depends on benchmark, give better or slightly worse results than 4000-4133 C12. I still have to get one of the older kits once prices drop.

Last edited:
@ Samsa - Thank You for that knowledge :)
I got my mem to OC to 3400 on my i7-5960x @ 12-14-14-28 1T. I'll be working on trying to get the timings tighter. The VCCSA @ 1.35v (RED Color) and Memory @ 1.75v or 1.8v

@ Woomack - Will have an upgrade from my i7-6700k to an i7-8700k or i5-8600k next month:) This should improve my memory OCing with a better IMC :) Also was able to beat your 3D Mark 11 score :)

3DMark 11#2.png

Back