• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xbox controller for windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BtyIsInTheCore

Registered
hey all! so I bought a Xbox 360 wireless controller to control my pc when I am watching a movie from my couch amongst other things such as being lazy...
the thing is... how the heck do I get the two to connect, guides online keep saying I need to use the wireless receiver that comes with the controller, mine didnt come with one:bang head

You just install the driver for the device and the controller connects.

When my USB adapter broke I had a hard time finding one by itself. I'm pretty sure I even read that MS stopped selling it by itself and only bundled it with a controller. I ended up getting one from a guy who accidentally bought the bundled for his xbox.

Yea the regular xbox 360 controller and the xbox360 controller "for windows" come in different packaging at retailers. They are the same thing, one just comes with the pod. If you can't find a retailer to sell the usb dongle then you should try returning the controller and buying the "for windows" package.

Gotta recommend this little app to you too:
http://pety.me/XboxExt/

You can't turn the xbox360 controller off from windows. The guide button doesnt work for on/off like it does on xbox. The only way to turn it off is to pop off the battery pack and pop it back on.

Drop this tiny app into your "startup" folder in start menu, and then when you hold the guide button for 2 sec it will pop up a little box where u can turn off the controller by pressing A

so the receiver came in today, installed the driver software but I need a program to map the keys, will autohotkey work for this? anything else you can recommend?

I believe xpadder is what most people use. I've never used it personally but all the games I've used my 360 controller on natively support it.

:bang head okay got xpadder, but I cannot get the controller to connect. I've tried the xbox button and the small button on the top, I'm out of ideas, no google searches have helped

Right click on Computer
Go to Properties
Click on Device Manager
Right click on the Unidentified Device
Go to Properties
Go to the Drive tab
Click on Update Driver…
Browse my computer for driver software
Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
Microsoft Common Controller for Window Class
Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows Version: 2.1.0.1349 [8/13/2009Update
Update Driver Warning
Click Yes

hope it helps

:attn:Beautiful thanks a bunch! one last thing though that maybe you can help me with, if i were to go buy the key board that attaches to the controller would it work as well?

Back