• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xbox One

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Re-up for new page...

attachment.php

The PS4 is the clear winner here, the GDDR5 is an excellent addition and the 32mb of eSRAM that the One has is still not enough to be effective. Microsoft has spent too much money in areas that do not need it(kinect, tv-in and multi-layered OS) they really missed the mark with this one...

TBH all I care about is the fact that AMD will make a killing on this next generation as pvt mentioned previously, c'mon 9-series!!

As for games the PC is the true winner out of everything, its a neutral platform and almost everything you would want to play will be on PC. Hence why I am a PC gamer first and foremost :p

Also did I mention that BF4 looks awesome, I know its a glorified expansion to BF3 but there isn't anything wrong with that in my books... Funny thing is the PC version will still be better even with this "Next-Generation" of consoles :rofl:

Last edited:
Agree with your point about AMD. I just hope my stock in them goes up (not much room for it to go down!)

I agree with outright hardware specs that PS4 wins with that, but I am interested to see what sort of use the cloud processing gets that is offered from M$. If they can actually harness and take advantage of it, it could end up making a difference. I was listening to my GiantBombCast (E3 Day2 episode) and they have some guys from Respawn [read: Titanfall] on there and they stated that the PC version may not be able to take advantage of all of the features that the XB1 version has because it won't have the cloud processing available to it [why not, I have no idea, I would figure it would just be games for windows live or something].

The cloud processing seems like an intersting proposition but I don't think it will be utilized to it's fullest extent by publishers simply due to the fact that it becomes an exclusive piece of software and locked to that platform(which pubs like to avoid).

But for first party software they can probably do some amazing things...

As for respawn I was also following the GB E3 coverage and tbh they seemed very biased. The only reason I say this is because as a timed exclusive they want to hype up their initial launch, other than that there is nothing that can't be done on a PC as you mentioned.

Last edited:
I'm with you Steve and I'm hoping it bombs so that I can laugh at them for being... I couldn't think of a way to put it that would be acceptable for the forums so lets just say I don't like the way they are handling all this cloud business.

When all this information came about Xbox One a question was raised in my mind. I was wondering if possibly this is why valve all the sudden has went all PRO linux with porting games and wanting to port all games to the console. I mean yeah we know what gabe said about WIN 8 but being a game maker etc I wonder if they had inside info about the xbox one and it's anti consumer policies maybe fearing that those policies would land on the microsoft OS someday and be forced down everyones throat to do anything.

Just a thought probably far fetched.

Culbrelai - I like aruging too :) console wars are great for forum debates :D

If I have to yell at the xbox or repeat myself then yes, instant garbage, if it works smoothly, ie in a quiet room I can talk quietly and it will pick me up then it could (please note, could, not will :) ) be useful

ye the kinnect camera could always be used to spy in some form or other, in the same way as the mic on your mobile or the webcams that are slowly making it into all smart tvs etc :) all depends on how concerned you are, and how worried you are if that information ends up somewhere, what harm/embaresment it could cause :) for me its not a concern, for others it is a potentially huuuuge deal. We all have our own personal space boundaries, we vary from exobisionists who want everyone to see every aspect of their lives, to grazy homeless people wearing tin foil hats to stop them being tracked by 'satelites'. This is a sliding scale, we all land on the scale somewhere :).

Yes they had the same argument for windows 8, and yes windows 8 isnt doing great, but this is now a very complicated argument, linked to the last generation of consoles, new phones and tablets. The desktop PC market is completely changing, if m$ just released windows 7.5 then that would have tanked just as much if not more. M$ need to evolve. Now if they do it correctly then their sales will pick up again over the next 5 years, if not, they will slowly die off. It is too early to tell if win 8 is a good step or a bad step, for me their main problem is marketing, they havent sold its features well, they have caused the average consumer to get too confused, ie windows 8 RT, wtf is that? (rhetorical question). THen their surface pro vs surface rt, they havent made it clear enough what market they are aiming for. Again the average consumer is going to compare the iPAD vs the surface pro and then think the surface is overpriced.

It all comes down to the fact they need to embrace smart phones and tablets, even in the gaming arena. They also need to link it all together smoothly. Otherwise apple will always have the edge and slowly m$ will loose everything. So in summary I have no issue with their change for windows, it was needed, if it pays off or not we will see, but if they had done nothing then they would slowly die off anyways.

call of duty still sells well, but I think its days are diminishing. Most people I know who used to buy and play it religously are getting tired. Less and less people that I know go and buy the next version. But again, this is a side topic, but I dont expect to see call of duty in 3-4 years in the same way it is today unless it really tries to evolve.

adequate precautions if they get hacked? of course people will be pissed, they always are. when all the major companies get hacked and vital information is stolen. It always causes uproar. As I said before, a video of you in your lounge vs your bank details, which is more important?

then the final point on change :) I like the change they are offering. I dont like the lack of change playstation are offering. So as before, if you want what you had previously then go with the ps4 :) (or stick with the PC as you are :) )

O, 1 more final thing, just bought and started playing witcher 2 on my PC at the weekend, at the same time I was watching gameplay footage from the next 'gen'. In all honesty it just looks like consoles have caught up :)

rumbl - good point on Valve, that could be very likely :) in any case the new steam box just started looking very appealing, again if valve can pull it off whenever they decide to announce it

Funniest thing ever. Running on HP built PCs using nVidia 7xx GPUs and Windows 7, discovered when a demo someone was playing crashed to w7's desktop. This reminds me of the bluescreen Bill Gates himself got when pushing Windows 98 (or was it 95?) in that one press conference...

Still, it's good to know Microsoft plays for the winning team, even if they themselves are part of the losing team it seems. As for HP, they're one of the more reputable PC vendors, who have the unfortunate place of having to fix someone elses mistake. They actually released a start menu program (like ClassicShell) their own company made that's standard on many of their PC's now. While Microsoft is busy not listening to anyone, as well as Dell, HP actually did listen. Shocking.

If I have to yell at the xbox or repeat myself then yes, instant garbage, if it works smoothly, ie in a quiet room I can talk quietly and it will pick me up then it could (please note, could, not will ) be useful

I have never been one for the whole voice thing, honestly it is far too slow and inaccurate at this stage of the game.

ye the kinnect camera could always be used to spy in some form or other, in the same way as the mic on your mobile or the webcams that are slowly making it into all smart tvs etc all depends on how concerned you are, and how worried you are if that information ends up somewhere, what harm/embaresment it could cause for me its not a concern, for others it is a potentially huuuuge deal. We all have our own personal space boundaries, we vary from exobisionists who want everyone to see every aspect of their lives, to grazy homeless people wearing tin foil hats to stop them being tracked by 'satelites'. This is a sliding scale, we all land on the scale somewhere .

When you take the battery out of your phone, it cannot be used to spy on you.

When you unplug the ethernet cable/disable wireless connectivity on that smart TV, it cannot be used to spy on you.

When you unplug your webcam, it cannot be used to spy on you.

The Kinect cannot be unplugged without completely disabling the Xbox One.

Yes they had the same argument for windows 8, and yes windows 8 isnt doing great, but this is now a very complicated argument, linked to the last generation of consoles, new phones and tablets. The desktop PC market is completely changing, if m$ just released windows 7.5 then that would have tanked just as much if not more. M$ need to evolve. Now if they do it correctly then their sales will pick up again over the next 5 years, if not, they will slowly die off. It is too early to tell if win 8 is a good step or a bad step, for me their main problem is marketing, they havent sold its features well, they have caused the average consumer to get too confused, ie windows 8 RT, wtf is that? (rhetorical question). THen their surface pro vs surface rt, they havent made it clear enough what market they are aiming for. Again the average consumer is going to compare the iPAD vs the surface pro and then think the surface is overpriced.

Really they shouldn't have released a desktop OS period, just continue to update Windows 7 (Perhaps Windows 7 Service Pack 2?) It would have saved on development costs that could have gone into a mobile OS that is PURELY mobile and not some ugly hybrid that really only does well on touchscreens and even then is largely outperformed by iPads, etc.

The Surface Pro however I give them credit for, running legacy desktop apps on a tablet is a purely Microsoft-esque move and is brilliant. That is the one step I agree with in this cycle of Microsoft failure.

It all comes down to the fact they need to embrace smart phones and tablets, even in the gaming arena. They also need to link it all together smoothly. Otherwise apple will always have the edge and slowly m$ will loose everything. So in summary I have no issue with their change for windows, it was needed, if it pays off or not we will see, but if they had done nothing then they would slowly die off anyways.

Not really. Businesses are still going to have to upgrade, just from XP to W7, instead of XP to W8. Tablets fill no real need, while Smartphones and PC's do. No movies are developed on tablets, no software is developed on smartphones. PCs are not going anywhere.

call of duty still sells well, but I think its days are diminishing. Most people I know who used to buy and play it religously are getting tired. Less and less people that I know go and buy the next version. But again, this is a side topic, but I dont expect to see call of duty in 3-4 years in the same way it is today unless it really tries to evolve.

Battlefield > Call of Duty. And it was first. Just sayin'

adequate precautions if they get hacked? of course people will be pissed, they always are. when all the major companies get hacked and vital information is stolen. It always causes uproar. As I said before, a video of you in your lounge vs your bank details, which is more important?

Equal importance.

then the final point on change I like the change they are offering. I dont like the lack of change playstation are offering. So as before, if you want what you had previously then go with the ps4 (or stick with the PC as you are )

The same "get used to it" attitude that Microsoft has had since Windows 8 was released.

This attitude will be their downfall, at least in the short term.

Even voice for Apple's Siri is far from perfect. Works great the first week. But as soon as you need it in a hurry or in the car...it has a decent failure rate. Making it no less dangerous than texting in the car.

And how long have voice activated phone systems for banks and ISPs been around? They still suck.

Funniest thing ever. Running on HP built PCs using nVidia 7xx GPUs and Windows 7, discovered when a demo someone was playing crashed to w7's desktop. This reminds me of the bluescreen Bill Gates himself got when pushing Windows 98 (or was it 95?) in that one press conference...

Always good to get caught out like this :) however not surprising and certainly not the 1st time this is done :) Real graphics comparisons between xbox and ps4 are pure speculation at the moment unless you have a devkit for both yourself :) It does point towards PCs still being the best graphic option even on the day of release, unless cloud processing offers a mssive boost. (will it be possible for PCs to take advantage of these features do we know?)

I have never been one for the whole voice thing, honestly it is far too slow and inaccurate at this stage of the game.

At the moment I totally agree. Google voice I dont use, Siri is a gimmik (I hate talking to devices in public). However Kinnect could (please note the lack of certainty :) ) be the next evolution. It will need to be accurate and easy to use for it to be useful (a lot more accurate than siri). This could be aided by the fact there will probably be a finite number of commands, Siri has to extrapolate entire paragraphs sometimes.

When you take the battery out of your phone, it cannot be used to spy on you.

When you unplug the ethernet cable/disable wireless connectivity on that smart TV, it cannot be used to spy on you.

When you unplug your webcam, it cannot be used to spy on you.

The Kinect cannot be unplugged without completely disabling the Xbox One.

So let me get this straight your argument is, you can turn off your phone, you can unplug your tv, but you cant turn your xbox off? Most plugs come with this thing called a switch! (sorry for the sarcasm here, I couldn't resist :thup: ) I turn all my appliances off at the wall anyways with my remote, standby modes are power hungry.

Really they shouldn't have released a desktop OS period, just continue to update Windows 7 (Perhaps Windows 7 Service Pack 2?) It would have saved on development costs that could have gone into a mobile OS that is PURELY mobile and not some ugly hybrid that really only does well on touchscreens and even then is largely outperformed by iPads, etc.

I can get on board with this argument, I think m$ tried to develop all areas in parralell, win 8 is designed to be an all encompassing piece of kit, they have missed the mark with windows phone and windows rt though. I think that could have been planned better!

Not really. Businesses are still going to have to upgrade, just from XP to W7, instead of XP to W8. Tablets fill no real need, while Smartphones and PC's do. No movies are developed on tablets, no software is developed on smartphones. PCs are not going anywhere.

I personally see the likes of the surface pro, lenovo helix etc replacing the common laptop over the next few years and there are a lot of businesses that use both an iPAD and laptop on a daily basis. So I have to disagree I think there is a definate market share there.

Battlefield > Call of Duty. And it was first. Just sayin'

Cant really deny that, although cod 1,2,4 were damn good :)

Equal importance.

That was kind of my point, we trust these companies with our bank details already (this is barely even questioned any more with large companies). It isnt realy that much of a leap to trust them with a web cam feed.

The same "get used to it" attitude that Microsoft has had since Windows 8 was released.

This attitude will be their downfall, at least in the short term.

I agree, short term it could well be painful. They have the potnetial to come out in 5 years though bigger than ever. (or die a slow painful death :) ):shrug:

So let me get this straight your argument is, you can turn off your phone, you can unplug your tv, but you cant turn your xbox off? Most plugs come with this thing called a switch! (sorry for the sarcasm here, I couldn't resist ) I turn all my appliances off at the wall anyways with my remote, standby modes are power hungry.

No lol, my point is you can't unplug the Kinect without disabling the entire console. Sure sure you can turn the kinect off but how long before hackers figure out how to reactivate it remotely? Anything connected to the internet has the possibility to be hacked into. I unplug my computer from the internet every night...

I personally see the likes of the surface pro, lenovo helix etc replacing the common laptop over the next few years and there are a lot of businesses that use both an iPAD and laptop on a daily basis. So I have to disagree I think there is a definate market share there.

Have you ever typed with the on screen iPad keyboard? It's horrible. I doubt it will ever replace it, yes you say there are bluetooth keyboards but then wth is the point spending $1000 on a tablet when you can get a higher performing laptop with an actual keyboard...

It isnt realy that much of a leap to trust them with a web cam feed.

It really is though, you'll know if there are any unauthorized charges on your bank account.

You wouldn't really know if anyone is watching you with your webcam...

The Lenovo Helix is really expensive. The ASUS Transformer is not as hot as people thought it would be. Microsoft's Surface products are also too expensive currently. Tablets right now are either companion, presentation or content consumption devices. There isn't a decent amount of people that use them beyond that.

As far as webcams, I know ASUS laptops include a slider that covers it. Might as well call it NSA mode enable/disable.

Back