• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xbox Pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mtotho

Im currently working on an Xbox PC.

The short of it is i am placing a mini-itx mobo inside an empty xbox case. It will include the following features (some of which i have already installed)

Front panel
-Fully functional original xbox power button (done)
-Fully functional original LEDs (Done)
-Fully functional original xbox eject button to eject dvd drive
-Controller ports 1 and 2 fully working on windows, can use xbox controller (done)
-port 3, Installed to usb ports
-port 4, swapped xbox jack for fully functional n64 jack (done)

Case Modifications
-Cut out green xbox logo, replaces with fan cage. (done)
-Installed exaust 80mm fan under fan cage. (done)
-Drill correct hole locations for motherboard.

Hardware (Ordered, shipping, not yet arrived)
This is all i am waiting for. Here is my part hardware list

-Motherboard(mini itx) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813153077
-Hardrive(notebook) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148184
-Power supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817374002
-Processor(modest) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819111180

Any suggestions, please tell me. I am still looking for a good way to make the eject button work. I am going to be using a notebook slimdrive.

Upon completion or request i will post picture. Thanks

Last edited:
get a pico psu. They mount inside the 20 pin power connector on the motherboard.
if thats an IDE notebook drive, be sure to get the 3.5 to 2.5 converter
good luck :) If you get stuck, this may help http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/i64xbox/
I myself just finished a mini itx mailbox mod but my camera is broken

Last edited:
I have Actually looked into Pico psu, they simply do not offer the power i need, especially for there heavy price tag. I am fairly certain the psu i picked out is small enough, i checked the site brand site for the dimensions, everything checks out. The hardrive is sata, as the the notebook, i already have a converter. Thanks

I have Actually looked into Pico psu, they simply do not offer the power i need, especially for there heavy price tag. I am fairly certain the psu i picked out is small enough, i checked the site brand site for the dimensions, everything checks out. The hardrive is sata, as the the notebook, i already have a converter. Thanks
You should need no converter for the hard drive. It will have sata power and data connectors ;)

yea i know, i meant i have a converter already for the notebook slim dvd drive, sorry.
Ah, ok ;)

I am very much looking forward to how this looks and performs. I like your ideas... :D

Thank you, yea like i said all i have to do is wait for the parts. Im thinking wednesday or thursday, im on step 3 and step 5 on newegg with my 2 shipments.

^this has also been done before...
@Hills, I have a mini itx board around, would you like to sell me the empty xbox case for a small fee after you have done the mod? I might want it...

^this has also been done before...
@Hills, I have a mini itx board around, would you like to sell me the empty xbox case for a small fee after you have done the mod? I might want it...

Also i know it has been done before, but certainly not as many times as a standard computer. Also its really the only thing i had to build it in. It is portable, light, and im also gonna add a tv tuner so it can be a HTPC of sorts. I also checked out that site posted above. I can say with confident that his cuts are cleaner, he has good ideas, but i personally like some of the features i added more, also being 2003 when he made it, my board will be much better performance. I only have pieces of an xbox case laying around. I have the top and bottom but i do not have any extra front panels and button pcbs for whatever reason. Im sure you can score one on ebay for pretty cheap... if not stock xbox case, maybe a cool colored one.

Also an xbox case is an easy first custom case build. I dont exactly have the proper tools to be making a freaking aweseome _____case

Hillside: i saw jim gaffigan on tour (trenton nj) he is awesome. if u dont know who that is, its the guy in ur avatar.

Last edited:
Pictures

I took some crappy pictures with my cell camera. Here they are, i still haven't received the computer parts and my stuffs not perfectly cleaned off and organized, they are just to show u what i have added and modded.

This is looking at the port 3 and 4 mods, although not pretty, they are, at there current state, functional
get-attachmentaspx.jpg

This is the top of the case ,that fan isnt permanent, just an example.
get-attachmentaspx4.jpg

Slimdrive (it opens when i touched the right side of the drive. Im thinking of modding the eject button to eject it.
get-attachmentaspx3.jpg

This is the simple mod done to convert usb to xbox (which is usb in a dif shape)
get-attachment2aspx.jpg

Back