• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xeon L5639 overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've been tempted to slap a 6 core Xeon in this old thing to play around, with the little 920 in here 212 bclk best I've ever managed.

These old 920's are sturdy little buggers though.

Last edited:
Howdy guys,
I read your thread the other day...and I hope I'm not necroing it, but I decided to purchase a L5639 for 79 + free shipping off ebay. Before that I was simply replacing the OEM Dell board in a 435mt with a Rampage II gene, but I saw this stuff about 6 core Xenons and I was mystified. First, what will remain to be seen is if the L5639 will (I hope) run on a Rampage II gene (not the III like you have...only real diff I really see is support for SATA III). Waiting on the chip to get here. I'm curious if you could tell me exactly what I need to change in the bios to OC the L5639 to what you've found is a relatively 24/7 stable state and also what cooler you are using? In addition I'll be running 12GB of the Kingston HyperX Triple Channel PC3 12800 and a EVGA GTX 760 SC.

Just as a side note I purchased the 435MT in 2008. I am very much amazed at the long life the i7 920 has had. The 435MT has failed to recognize the HyperX triple channel memory I'd bought for it...thus warranting a new mobo all together lol...I do things backwards.
79 bucks ? ORLY.

Not sure I'll mess with it, could try some ECC RAM in here too but this ole MOBO seems to be questionable on how it would use it from some things I'd read.

I was doing some L5639 research yesterday and it turns out this CPU supports more turbo boost than most people realize. If you disable all of the C States, you get +2 bins of turbo boost so the multiplier goes from 16 to 18. If you enable the C3 or C6 core C State, this enables more turbo boost and a higher multiplier when the CPU is partially loaded.

1 or 2 cores active = 20X
3 or 4 cores active = 19X
5 or 6 cores active = 18X

If you can get the BCLK up to around 200 MHz, you end up with a very nice CPU at a fraction of the cost of a similar 980X. It's likely that these are built on the exact same assembly line as the 980X, the L5639 simply has a locked multiplier. The advantage of the L5639 is it is a low power CPU with a TDP of only 60W compared to 130W for the 980X. Translation: The L5639 are cherry picked cores that are capable of running fast at low voltage. Those are the kind of cores that overclockers dream about. Best of all, the low price on EBay is insane. Highly recommended if you have an old 1366 board and you want something new to play with.

Think I'll be messing with one sometime in the near future maybe, sounds very interesting for the price.

Wow, definitely might have to give it a go, but for the price on one I've see some pretty good numbers others have posted elsewhere.

http://valid.canardpc.com/fftwtb

Last edited:
I've had an L5639 in my EVGA X58 SLI3. The highest I could get it stably was bout 2.8GHz... I know the motherboard isn't the greatest, but it has a Xeon W3520 in it right now, pumping away at about 3.9... and the W3505 that I had in it earlier would do 200 bCLK without trying too hard. Are there any voltage tricks or anything else to making these things go a bit further? I tried over 1.3vCore, and it just seemed to make it quite a bit hotter... I think I'm missing something.

Why can't I find this in Intel's Ark? Strange, it's like it's our little secret, intel didn't want people overclocking Xeons... teehee

Too bad I can't find a decent priced X58 board. Everyone thinks they are made from pure gold.

I think I'll have to make two different BIOS overclocks, have one with 6 cores I'm priming stable a bit haven't stressed it too long at 3.2, I know the two core can go higher :)

Lots of room to mess this thing yet.

The 6 core setup seems to throttle at 16X for me anyways while priming, so I've been working on boosting the 16X on 6 cores.

Still doing better than my old 920 of course, fun to play with something again in the ole setup.

*edit* funny my chipset shows up as a Tylersburg 36S, I can't even find much out about em online.

Last edited:
Heh, idles at 39C and hits 65C top stable running Prime with large FTT's on 12 cores.

I need to put more power to this baby :)

It;s not even breathing hard yet hehe.

And I was out of good thermal paste I used some old OCZ Ultra 5+ I had laying here didn't realize my MX-2 tube was empty, but things go this way might leave it alone a bit.

Welp have had it running stable at Blck 215 awhile now and current settings, might have hit my wall for being able to Prime and IBT is atm, have to try things out more.

I've gotten it to boot into windows at Blck 220, but being stable there might be another story.

Still a nice little improvement over the old 920.

Yeah, I'm backing things off again, was messing around :thup:

Working better yeah, I've enough VTT ATM waiting to see if anything going to explode :p*

Last edited:
I'll have to play around a bit more my MOBO is basically built like a freaking tank I'm way beyond that atm.

Still playing around but I'm liking it.

:shock:

wjor.jpg

Back