• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xfire, where to plug monitors? And how to control the OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hello guys,

Im getting another HD6950 today, and will ofcourse be setting it up for crossfire.

My monitors run on DVI, and with my current card, i use:
1x MiniDP to DVI
1x Active MiniDP to DVI
1x DVI.

The new card im getting is the sapphire hd6950 dirt 3 edition, and this card has 2x DVI 1x HDMI and 1x Displayport.

Due to the fact that i am running the Arctic Cooling Plus II on my current HD6950, i need to move this card to the middle PCIe slot, because it covers up the second one when placed in the top one.

My question is, how should i hook up my 3 monitors?

The Sapphire will be sitting on top, but can i run all my 3 monitors of the bottom GPU, or can i run 2 of the bottom on and 1 of the top GPU?

Whats the best option here?

I also need to know how this setup of 2x HD6950 will work when overclocking.

I got my fingers crossed this Sapphire is the type i can flash, so that both cards will be running HD6970 shaders, once this is done i want to run mild overclocking on the cards. (From what i have read, and been told CF with HD6970 stock cards can run off 650watt PSU)
By mild i want both cards to run like they are 6970 cards.

How do i go about controlling this? Will MSI Afterburner give me options on both cards? What about Fan management with Afterburner? Because both cards wont need the same fan speed setup, since one is triple fan and one is dual fan,i need my dual fan to run a slight bit different then my triple fan card.

Hope theres answers out there for me :)

Afterburner will list both cards. You'll have to plug all monitors into one card while xfire is enabled.

Good luck with the extra shader enable! :popcorn:

yea all 3 monitors have to be on the first card, and if you do 3 monitors one of the three has to be on an active display port adapter. also with those cards some of them unlock shaders and go to 6970 bios with just the flick of the switch, if they dont its a pretty high chance the shaders wont unlock

Afterburner will list both cards. You'll have to plug all monitors into one card while xfire is enabled.

Good luck with the extra shader enable! :popcorn:

So how would it work if i had 6 monitors? Would i not run crossfire in that case?

Does it matter which card i plug the monitors into?

yea all 3 monitors have to be on the first card, and if you do 3 monitors one of the three has to be on an active display port adapter. also with those cards some of them unlock shaders and go to 6970 bios with just the flick of the switch, if they dont its a pretty high chance the shaders wont unlock

When you say first card, you mean the top one, or the one i pick in Bios to be my primary PCIe slot? I have read online that people just plug all monitors into one card, top or bottom?

I have flashed my current HD6950 already, and will try with the new one, IF it has dual bios, if not, i'll just set the switch on my curent HD6950 to stock bios setting.

Last edited:
Back