• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to oc the video clock on a 1080 ti sc2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
How come the video can't be overclocked?
It's video, bro. It doesn't need to run any faster when the content it's pushing is a set FPS and bandwidth. Modern NV cards (and I think the latest gen AMD) have a hardware encoder/decoder that runs seperate from the core you're overclocking for games/F@H. In other words, there's no point.

It's video, bro. It doesn't need to run any faster when the content it's pushing is a set FPS and bandwidth. Modern NV cards (and I think the latest gen AMD) have a hardware encoder/decoder that runs seperate from the core you're overclocking for games/F@H. In other words, there's no point.
That you for the info. :thup:

Does OC the memory on the gpu help in F@H? Stock my cards are at 5000Mhz but my OC is 300Mhz more on the memory. So that takes it 5301.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-25 132529.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-25 132529.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 2
I seem to remember on the old Maxwell cards there were three frequency domains that could be modified by the Maxwell BIOS hacking program: memory, core clock and sys (I think). I never did find out what the sys clock was or if changing it would make any diff. in perf.

I seem to remember on the old Maxwell cards there were three frequency domains that could be modified by the Maxwell BIOS hacking program: memory, core clock and sys (I think). I never did find out what the sys clock was or if changing it would make any diff. in perf.
Maybe it's in another tab... but I see normal memory and core here. I don't see a "sys clock" in my cursory google.

1713872736859.png

EDIT: I don't see it anywhere...

EDIT: I see it on the boost states and clock states tab....I don't know what it is, lol. :)

EDIT2: Google is amazing... the info was out there...

GPC = "General Purpose Core" - This is the primary core of your GPU
L2C = "L2 Cache" - This is the on core memory that your GPU core has access to. Running it at the same clockspeed as the core itself nets a large gain.
XBAR = "Memory Controler Crossbar" - This is the bus speed of the memory controller that talks to the core.
SYS = "System" - This is the rest of the card that isn't tied to another clock domain.

..so, maybe you can overclock "sys" but...WHY? Accoding to this, it didn't yield performance increases, but stability when overclocking the GPC/L2C/XBAR.

Last edited:
I messed around w/the Maxwell BIOS tweaker, I did have to do quite a few blind BIOS flashes to my 980ti. The only real advantage I got out of the Maxwell BIOS tweaker is that I didn't need to use afterburner anymore to o'clock my 980ti, it was all handled by my modded BIOS.

Did they ever make a BIOS tweaker that would enable altering memory timings? Considering how often a GPU accesses VRAM would it be worthwhile to tune memory timings?

I never messed with gpu bios editors when MSI AB did the job... just have it start with windows and viola!

As far a vram timings, no idea... but I'd imagine similar gains like when messing with system memory (not much).

At one time the highest I had ever gotten is mem 3000mhz and the gpu 1999mhz sometimes it would go to 2009mhz +/-. Another thing is I have had 5Mil PPD days that's better than the avg for 2 cards. (y)

Last edited:
Depends on the mason, Jimbo. ;)
You're very correct about that, Scotty. I'm referring more to the unskilled masses. May I direct your attention to the GPU sections at TPU. :rofl:

I think the last vBIOS I played with was my HD 6950. It was one of the models that didn't natively run like a 6970 so it took some tweaking to get it there.

Back