• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XFX 5770 aftermarket cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackzero

Registered
Ok I have a XFX 5770 with the v1 cooler (Big box cooler) same as one in sig. I don’t like the temps I get. I’m sure there fine. I want it cooler. I want it to be *note I have been reading for about 3 hours as of now on this*

quieter as the stock cooler on 100% is like a leaf blower. I use MSI
afterburner and made my own fan speed curve, as it would not go over 50% if I do remember right.
I’m looking for a cooler and any info that will help. This will be my first time doing a gpu cooler swap and playing with glue on, heat tape whatever they are heat sinks for MOSFT, ram etc. I’m looking for something that I will not have to mod. I don’t mind cutting heat to fit the chips but I would like just a direct fit.

I don’t plan on doing crossfire and when I am done with the card when I upgrade, it will go to my wife who likes her pc on the quiet side.

Im looking at the Accelero L2 Plus from Arctic. I don’t know if this is the best I can do. I also don’t know if the heat skins will fit or if I need more.

Thanks for your help as always and your time.

Conumdrum said:
Try Thermalright, they make quality stuff.

They do indeed make great heatsinks, but their GPU heatsinks are kind of awkward compared to recent alternatives. Also the only GPU heatsink they've listed as compatible with the 5770 is the HR-03 Rev. A, which I would not suggest the OP use as it will run louder and hotter than anything recent due to using a 92mm fan and having 4 heatpipes. The HR-03GT is bare minimum I'd suggest for Thermalright heatsinks on that particular card as it's a bit more powerful, but you'll lose ~2 slots on your board with it installed, and it's difficult to install with no experience.

To the OP:
The Accelero L2 is rated up to 100W so I'd go a bit bigger if possible personally.

This site's in German, but you can see in the images that the temperatures and dbA/noise level of the L2 is pretty close to the stock cooler, so it wouldn't be worth it in my opinion:
http://translate.google.com/transla...rctic_Cooling_Accelero_L2-Pro_auf_HD-5770.htm

The AC Twin Turbo will fit on a 5770 but you'll have to modify the cooler a bit/remove the fan shroud: http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=56355&highlight=

The AC Accelero Xtreme Plus is the best cooler for graphics cards that you can buy right now. They're extremely quiet and they're rated up to 250W, so it's no-contest (and this is from an otherwise all-Thermalright, all the time guy), but I don't think they're listed as compatible with your card unfortunately.

The Scythe Setsugen-2 is listed as compatible with a reference 5770 so it should fit your card. It's kind of large, but it should work much better than the stock cooler:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...oduct_info&cPath=54_196_689&products_id=29867

Some of the Zalman heatsinks should fit, but I'm not sure about their compatibility (and I'd never recommend Zalman but that's just a personal preference). The Gelid "Icy Visions" heatsink might work, but it's got a weird mounting setup, bad Chingrish instructions, and the only people I've read recommending it have been obvious shills, so I'd steer clear. Also from checking reviews performance seems to be sub-par for the size of the cooler. Accelero and Scythe both have great performance GPU heatsinks, so for your card I'd go with the Scythe cooler listed above as it comes with nearly everything you'll need (although I'd suggest getting Sekisui tape instead of the stock stuff [see comments below]).

The biggest issue to watch out for with an aftermarket GPU cooler is cooling the RAM & all VRM chips. This is critical. Basically anything that the stock cooler has thermal pads for needs a heatsink or the card will nuke itself.

You can use thermal adhesive for these heatsinks but you will void your warranty with them so keep that in mind. If you want to use thermal tape, I recommend ditching the stuff they send you as it's generally unreliable garbage 3M tape. Grab some Sekisui thermal tape off of eBay and use an eraser & 91% rubbing alcohol to clean off the RAM/VRM chips before applying heatsinks. If you have ArcticClean that will work as well, but if not you'll need to use the pencil eraser to make sure the heatsinks will adhere to the chips properly. Additionally I like to use a hair dryer after application to heat up the chips and help the tape bond properly. Again, thermal tape is difficult to work with but if you use the correct stuff (Sekisui) with proper application steps for the RAM/VRM sinks you should be fine. Thermal adhesive is much easier, but if you screw up you cannot remove it, and your warranty is gone forever even if it works properly (not sure if XFX offers lifetime warranty on that card but it's something to consider).

If your card has a backplate you can reattach it with zipties to prevent the PCB from sagging without the stock cooler installed.

Edit: This post got alot bigger than I'd initially planned.

Last edited:
Thanks for all info..... look up card via photos its a non reference xfx card has only 1 cf port. All coolers are for reference. any one know of a cooler that will fit?

Last edited:
You slap a 120mm on it and it's fine. It's a HUGE HS. You might have to buy a different copper HS for a VRAM or Vreg, because it might have more ram and extra power stages, but thats cheap.

Believe me, the HR03 will cool that card with absolutely no problems. Yea it's big and bulky, and very very good. I bet a 120mm 900 RPM fan would be just fine. Of course not some cheap crap fan with silly weak ratings. But not a monster fan either. A Yate Loon medium on a fan controller would be fine. They are only like $6.

Edit. 100% agree on the tape. Great stuff, been using it for years.

On cleaning the chips, sometimes the stock thermal pads leave a greasy silicon on the chips. Alcohol doesn't clean it very well.

I use Artic Clean (two bottle set) for years on stuff needing thermal tape, or cleaning CPUs etc. The 92% alcohol is a must tho, for precleaning and all around uses.

I'm looking at the Scythe Setsugen-2 atm. I just seen photos of it installed on a non reference 5770 xfx. seems to fit. on that other forum named *cough*.net*cough*
I trust scythe on lowering the sound level. I have never used there HS before.

HMMM there HS for vram etc are made of aluminum. Are this HS ok or should i get a copper set? if so what set?

Also seems that that the fan is contorled via a knob you install in to a pci slot. is there a way to control this via msi after burner? like maybe mod the power plug to fit the video card hookup? I could buy a fan with the video card hook up to solder on to the vga cooler fan if it will work and some one can tell me what wires need to be used.

Im out of TIM so its time for some new. I'm thinking of going with MX2 over AS5. Any comments? do i use same amount of mx2 that i have with AS5. MX2 is cheaper and i have heard good things about it.

*edit Since most vga cooler will blow the hot air in to my case, should i buy a fan and make use of the side panel fan mount as it lines up with the card? if so should the fan blow in or out of the case?

Last edited:
I'm looking at the Scythe Setsugen-2 atm. I just seen photos of it installed on a non reference 5770 xfx. seems to fit. on that other forum named *cough*.net*cough*
I trust scythe on lowering the sound level. I have never used there HS before.

HMMM there HS for vram etc are made of aluminum. Are this HS ok or should i get a copper set? if so what set?

Just fine as aluminum. Always nice to have extras. As usual, you'll get the cooler, and since your card is non standard your missing one heatsink. Long term journey there. I have a box of old heatsinks, and 2-3 unopened packs of nice copper heatsinks in 3 different sizes I haven't used for years... You can buy 9 billion types at Digikey or Newark too.

Also seems that that the fan is contorled via a knob you install in to a pci slot. is there a way to control this via msi after burner? like maybe mod the power plug to fit the video card hookup? I could buy a fan with the video card hook up to solder on to the vga cooler fan if it will work and some one can tell me what wires need to be used.

All depends on the GPU fan control. 3pin voltage controlled? 2 pin no RPM sensing? 4 pin PWM? And all depends on what the fan on your new cooler is controlled. Same 3 questions..... Something you figure out after you buy it, hehe.

Im out of TIM so its time for some new. I'm thinking of going with MX2 over AS5. Any comments? do i use same amount of mx2 that i have with AS5. MX2 is cheaper and i have heard good things about it.

MX2 is good. MX4 is good too. I use MX2, it's fine by me. AS5 is old and way bypassed in trusted tests by a few C.

*edit Since most vga cooler will blow the hot air in to my case, should i buy a fan and make use of the side panel fan mount as it lines up with the card? if so should the fan blow in or out of the case?

YES, add a fan, maybe consider upping the quality/rpm of the exhaust fan too.

The aluminum sinks that come with it should be OK for the RAM chips, but if you want to use copper & if you can find some copper low-profile Thermaltake/Enzotech/ or Swiftech RAMsinks you could use those instead.

For the VRM chips it's hard to beat the Enzotech MOS-C1's, and they're just around the right base dimensions for the VRM chips. You might have to clip them down if they're too high to fit under the cooler, but they're easy to cut with wire snips.

I'm not 100% clear on how PWM fans work (I usually just stick all my fans on a hardware controller), so I'd suggest that you get something like a low-speed Yate Loon 120mm fan and just hook it directly to a molex cable. The fan that comes with the Setsugen cooler is a Slipstream, which isn't really a great fan for heatsinks anyways, so you should be fine replacing it. Alternatively, you could just use the one provided with the knob setup, as it's unlikely that you'd need to change the speed beyond low to medium with that card.

I like to use Ceramique with videocards, if MX2 is non-conductive/capacitive you should be fine with it. I wouldn't use AS5 on a videocard due to the exposed resistors, ect. by the core.

A side fan isn't a bad idea. It would be blowing into the case. Doesn't have to be high-flow (a low speed Yate Loon would be fine). I also agree that you should plan to bump up the exhaust fan if you haven't already.

If you have good airflow in the case, having a GPU fan blowing outside vs. blowing inside should make negligible difference to case/CPU temperatures.

Well, thank you all for your info. I'm not to sure what all the different parts of the card are so I must do more reading so i know what all and how many heat sinks i need to cool front and back of card. I like to think the colder the part the better. I like the Scythe Setsugen-2 the price is a bit high but it would be worth it, as the cooler could be used for other cards.

heck I only paid $20 for my cpu cooler. I may go water one day.

Thank you all again.

Well, thank you all for your info. I'm not to sure what all the different parts of the card are so I must do more reading so i know what all and how many heat sinks i need to cool front and back of card. I like to think the colder the part the better. I like the Scythe Setsugen-2 the price is a bit high but it would be worth it, as the cooler could be used for other cards.

heck I only paid $20 for my cpu cooler. I may go water one day.

Thank you all again.

That's the thing, even if the price seems a bit high, you can always reuse it later as it'll have sufficient overhead if you upgrade to something more powerful. When I bought my Accelero Xtreme Plus I was thinking about using it in the future so the cost wasn't as critical (also the stock cooler on the 6950 was making me crazy).

For what chips specifically need to be cooled, the RAM chips should at least have a heatsink (aluminum is fine), but just look at the bottom of the stock cooler. Anything under a thermal pad should be sinked, which usually means the RAM and VRM chips - The VRM's on the 5770 will either be in a line left of the core near the exhaust/DVI ports or a line to the right near the PCI-E power port, depending on the PCB.

Vram is ram. Vregs is Mosfets. Just a lingo thing, no worries. Most cards also have a PCI something chip to cool, small thing, flat. Look at the stock cooling closely, take pics if your old like me and forget.............

Ram and mosfets usually, maybe the chip mentioned above, unless your going voltage crazy, then maybe some chokes etc. The ones with R50 etc, square and tall.

They usually are next to the mosfets, they filter the spikes, give smooth voltage.

GPU i know what and where it is. Ram i Know what and where it is. What is VRM chips? are you calling VRM the Mosfets? reading this atm http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/943109-about-vrms-mosfets-motherboard-safety-125w.html

so i need to hs the gpu, ram and Mosfets? am i missing anything ?

Here's a thread with the VRM/mosfets highlighted (might be in slightly different locations on your card but those are what you need to look for) :

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=61382

Okay thanks. I could not find a photo to highlight or that was highlighted.

Thanks for your time and effort guys!
I now feel I know all I need to get this job done.

Simply fantastic

okay I got Scythe Setsugen-2 today.
Cooler was open box btw.
All temps are for MSI after burner
Furmark in app temps where 10 degrees lower on all

Test where done with Furmark 1.9.1
1920 x 1080
8x MSAA
Burn-in

Used arctic mx-4 TIM. Went on like a dream, Easier than AS5.
Heat skinks came with Sekisui #5760.

All fans are controlled by knobs so I have no rpms.

Before:
Fans full
Idle 47-50
Load 90-100

After:
Fans medium
Idle 33-34
Load 58-59

Fans fast
Idle 30-32
Load 57-56

Sound level of fan on cooler on high:
Sound is higher than fans on low, but lower than fans on Medium.
All in all 1000% improvement. Fan sounds like a ps2 slim.

Great work!

The temperature difference between medium and high looks pretty minor. How do the VRM temps look? (might need to use HWiNFO64 or GPU-Z to check these)

Got any pics of the cooler installed? :D

looking at temp log of HWiNFO64. temps top off after a few mins. ran for 10min. temps stayed constant with in a .5 °C up or down.
This is the max reading i could find...... don't know if its vrm temps tho.
GPU Thermal Diode 53.0 °C
GPU TS0 (DispIO) 45.5 °C
GPU TS1 (MemIO) 53.5 °C
GPU TS2 (Shader) 53.0 °C

I have to pull the HDD cages out soon to dust the dang filters will get pics up then.

Back