• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XFX 6970 throttling problems....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

notJUSTguitar

Hi.
My rig is in my sig.

This must be a problem with my card specifically.

Problem is: When the card reaches 60C-70C (usually closer to 60), it resets the voltage back down to stock (1.174V).

This pretty much prevents me from overclocking it much at all.

Yes, I put the power limit/control settings at +20%.

I've tested it with benchmarks and BF3.

Using Afterburner, I set the clocks to 950/1450 (core/ram clocks). I didn't touch the voltage.

I played BF3/ran a few benches, and it was fine...card got up to around 70C.

I then left the clock speeds the same, and set the voltage to 1.185V (from 1.174V). I started BF3. When the temps got to 66C, everything locked up, and then it said that the display driver stopped responding. I checked and the voltage had gone back down to 1.174 (and the clocks remained at 950/1450).

I've tested with higher clocks. It runs them just fine, until the temps get to around 65C.

I was able to run benches at 1025/1535 at 1.3V in the winter when I had my computer outside (the temps didn't get above 30C or so).

This is really pissing me off, as I want to work on 3D benching, but now that it's basically summer I don't have a way to keep my card below 65C, so if somebody could help that would be great!

Back